Tuesday’s Game 1 Red Sox-Rays matchups: Jon Lester vs. James Shields
|08.16.11 at 1:11 pm ET|
The Red Sox and Rays will play three games in two days at Fenway Park beginning with a day-night doubleheader on Tuesday. The first game will feature a pitching matchup of two 11-game winners this season in Jon Lester (11-6, 3.32) and James Shields (11-9, 2.80).
This will be Lester’s fourth start since coming off the disabled list on July 25. He has won only one game since making his return — a 10-2 win over the White Sox on July 30, a game in which Lester went eight innings and gave up two runs.
Lester has lost his last two outings. On Aug. 5 Lester gave up three runs and six innings against the Yankees in the Sox’ 3-2 loss. Then on Aug. 10 he gave up four runs in 7 1/3 innings in a game the Sox lost 5-2 to the Twins.
Tuesday will be Lester’s 18th career start against the Rays, the most against any major league team. Over the course of his career Lester is 9-4 with a 3.81 ERA against the Rays. He pitched against the Rays last on April 12, a game that the Sox lost 3-2. He went seven innings, giving up three runs on seven hits, suffering the loss in the process.
Shields is also no stranger to facing the Red Sox. This will be his 19th start against them. He is 6-10 with a 4.95 ERA lifetime against the Sox. He has pitched in two games this season against the Red Sox. On June 14 he pitched a complete-game shutout in the Rays’ 4-0 win. Most recently on July 16 he went six innings, giving up six runs on six hits and suffered the loss in the Red Sox’ 9-5 win.
The right-hander has won his last two starts. He is coming off of a complete-game shutout of the Royals on Aug. 9 in the Rays’ 4-0 victory. Shields allowed six hits and struck out eight.
The Rays have had plenty of experience against Lester as they have four players that have 27 or more plate appearances against the left-hander ‘ none of which have enjoyed a great deal of success. Johnny Damon is hitting .296, which leads that group of players. He has two home runs with seven RBIs.
Red Sox hitters have seen plenty of Shields, as every position player on the roster has faced him at least once over the course of their careers. Adrian Gonzalez leads the team against Shields as he is 5-for-9 with a home run. David Ortiz has also had a good deal of success as he is hitting .311 with nine doubles, three home runs and 13 RBIs plate appearances.
Rays vs. Lester
B.J. Upton (51 plate appearances): .188 BA/.235 OBP/.375 SLG, 3 home runs, 7 RBIs, 10 strikeouts
Evan Longoria (39): .250/.308/.528, 2 home runs, 6 RBIs, 12 strikeouts
Johnny Damon (29): .296/.345/.519, 2 home runs, 7 RBIs, 8 strikeouts
Ben Zobrist (27): .182/.333/.182, 11 strikeouts
Kelly Shoppach (20): .278/.350/.500, 1 home run, 9 strikeouts
Sean Rodriguez (10): .111/.200/.111, 5 strikeouts
Casey Kotchman: 1-for-4, 1 RBI
Sam Fuld: 1-for-3, 1 RBI
Elliot Johnson, 1-for-3, 1 strikeout
Matthew Joyce: 0-for-1, 1 strikeout
Reid Brignac, Robinson Chirinos and Desmond Jennings have not faced the Red Sox starter.
Red Sox vs. Shields
Marco Scutaro (60 plate appearances): .236 BA/.283 OBP/.327 SLG, 6 RBIs, 9 strikeouts
David Ortiz (52): .311/.404/.711, 9 doubles, 3 home runs, 13 RBIs
Kevin Youkilis (48): .163/.250/279, 11 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (46): .333/.391/.524, 2 home runs, 4 RBIs
Jacoby Ellsbury (37): .200/.243/.286, 1 home run, 7 strikeouts
Jason Varitek (34): .182/.206/.364, 2 home runs, 10 strikeouts
Jed Lowrie (12): .091/.083/.091, 5 strikeouts
Adrian Gonzalez (10): .556/.600/.889, 1 home run
Jarrod Saltalamacchia: 0-for-5, 4 strikeouts
Mike Aviles: 0-for-3
Carl Crawford: 0-for-3, 1 strikeout
Darnell McDonald: 0-for-2, 1 strikeout
Josh Reddick: 1-for-3, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins