Daniel Bard showed once again why he loves these sort of moments
|08.21.11 at 6:58 pm ET|
KANSAS CITY ‘ It has become Daniel Bard‘s favorite pastime, and for good reason.
As he says, ‘You’re saving the game, even though it’s not necessarily getting the save.’
With runners on first and second, nobody out and the Red Sox clinging to a two-run lead, Bard was called upon to face one of the American League‘s best bunters in Alcides Escobar (who has the third-most sacrifices in the majors with 14).
Bard had done it again ‘ come in, with the game on the line, and put out the late-inning fire.
‘I enjoy doing it,’ he said. ‘Clean innings all the time, they’re probably better for your arm and a little less stressful. But it’s fun to have one of these every once in a while, to be able to play a big part in winning a game.’
Since coming into the majors in 2009, Bard has become of the best in the majors at executing such tasks. Perhaps his first signature moment came in Game 3 of the ‘09 American League Division Series, when he came on with nobody out in the sixth inning, the Sox holding a 5-1 lead, and the bases loaded full of Angels.
The then-rookie induced a 5-4-3 double play grounder, and infield pop up to limit what could have, at the time, been disastrous.
A trend had been set in motion.
‘I think it definitely helps to know you’ve done it before. You’ve come in, have two or three guys on and gotten out of it unharmed,’ Bard said. ‘Know you’ve done it before definitely lets you pitch with more confidence and lets you be able to pitch for strikeouts in that situation, or at least for that first out. It was big.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot