Josh Beckett on his new ’10-5′ rights: ‘It’s a pretty cool thing to have’
|08.21.11 at 3:07 pm ET|
KANSAS CITY — Josh Beckett reached the coveted “10-5″ status Thursday (10 years in the major leagues, five seasons with the same team), thereby allowing him right of first refusal when it came to any trade he may be involved in.
“It means I’ve stuck around for a while,” the Red Sox starter said. “Obviously it has some meaning, between the contract stuff and everything. It’s not a lot of guys get to. Even five years with a team is quite a bit, and I think it’s my second time being five years with a team (having pitched five seasons with the Marlins). More than anything it’s a status thing. It’s pretty cool to have.”
Beckett had already earned the service time with the same team, having already pitched five full seasons with the Red Sox. He just had to wait until his major league service time reached 10 years, which was based on a clock that began upon his call-up with Florida in 2001.
As for the actual use of his new rights, Beckett doesn’t foresee that being an issue any time soon.
“Obviously I’m not going to use it this year,” quipped the 31-year-old. “I don’t think any of that stuff comes into play right now, and it might be in a few years. More than anything right now what it means is that it’s a pride, or status, thing. It shows that I’ve stuck it out. It’s tough to do.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller