Josh Beckett on his new ’10-5′ rights: ‘It’s a pretty cool thing to have’
|08.21.11 at 3:07 pm ET|
KANSAS CITY — Josh Beckett reached the coveted “10-5″ status Thursday (10 years in the major leagues, five seasons with the same team), thereby allowing him right of first refusal when it came to any trade he may be involved in.
“It means I’ve stuck around for a while,” the Red Sox starter said. “Obviously it has some meaning, between the contract stuff and everything. It’s not a lot of guys get to. Even five years with a team is quite a bit, and I think it’s my second time being five years with a team (having pitched five seasons with the Marlins). More than anything it’s a status thing. It’s pretty cool to have.”
Beckett had already earned the service time with the same team, having already pitched five full seasons with the Red Sox. He just had to wait until his major league service time reached 10 years, which was based on a clock that began upon his call-up with Florida in 2001.
As for the actual use of his new rights, Beckett doesn’t foresee that being an issue any time soon.
“Obviously I’m not going to use it this year,” quipped the 31-year-old. “I don’t think any of that stuff comes into play right now, and it might be in a few years. More than anything right now what it means is that it’s a pride, or status, thing. It shows that I’ve stuck it out. It’s tough to do.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis shines in national TV spotlight
- Cup of Coffee: Travis, Owens continue hot stretches
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory
- After slow start, Cecchini heating up at the plate, settling into left field
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario