Tuesday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: John Lackey vs. Colby Lewis
|08.23.11 at 4:37 am ET|
The Red Sox will take on the Rangers in the second game of a four-game series in Texas Tuesday night. Each team will send an 11-game winner to the mound. John Lackey (11-9 6.02) will get the ball for the Red Sox and be opposed by Colby Lewis (11-8, 3.83).
Lackey enters the game winning six of his last seven decisions, but suffered the loss in his last outing last Wednesday against the Rays. Despite the the loss Lackey pitched fairly well. He went 6 2/3 innings allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits and struck out seven.
After his worst outing of the season on July 4 Lackey’s ERA was 7.47. He has seen his ERA drop 1.45 since, as now it sits at 6.02. Also since the July 4 start, he has allowed four runs or fewer in all of his starts except for one. That came on Aug. 1 when he allowed five against the Indians.
Tuesday marks Lackey’s 35th career start against the Rangers, which is the most against any opponent. Lifetime he is 11-13 with a 6.07 ERA. He has faced the Rangers once this season, which came in his first start of the year back on April 2. The right-hander struggled, allowing nine runs on ten hits in just 3 2/3 innings. The Red Sox lost the game 12-5.
Lewis comes into the game pitching quite well. In his last start on Aug. 18 he pitched seven shutout innings, striking out seven in the Rangers’ 2-1 loss to the Angels. Lewis got a no decision. The start before that on Aug. 13 against the Athletics Lewis went 6 1/3 innings, allowing one run on three hits and striking out eight in the Rangers’ 7-1 win.
The Rangers right-hander has appeared in nine games against the Red Sox including five starts against the Red Sox over the course of his career and has posted a 2-1 record with a 3.38 ERA. Lewis also started the April 2 game against the Red Sox, and earned the win. He went six innings and allowed three runs on six hits.
The Red Sox don’t have too much experience against Lewis, as only three players have double-digit plate appearances against him. In 15 plate appearances, David Ortiz has four hits including three home runs, but he will not be in the lineup as he is still working his way back from right heel bursitis.
On the other hand the Rangers have plenty of experience against Lackey and have enjoyed a great deal of success. As a team they are hitting .356 against him. Ian Kinsler leads the way as in 31 plate appearances he is hitting .480 with three home runs and seven RBIs.
RED SOX VS. LEWIS
David Ortiz (15 plate appearances): .286 BA/.333 OBP/.929 SLG, 3 home runs, 5 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Marco Scutaro (14): .083/.214/.083, 2 strikeouts
Carl Crawford (12): .200/.333/.200, 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (8): .250/.250/.375
Jacoby Ellsbury (4): .000/.250/.000, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (4): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Jason Varitek (4): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
RANGERS VS. LACKEY
Michael Young (95 plate appearances): .360 BA/.400 OBP/.517 SLG, 15 RBIs, 10 strikeouts
Ian Kinsler (31): .480/.548/.880, 3 home runs, 7 RBIs
Josh Hamilton (27): .478/.556/.913, 3 home runs, 7 RBIs
Nelson Cruz (22): .286/.318/.286, 9 strikeouts
Elvis Andrus (17): .250/.250/.438
David Murphy (17): .385/.500/.538, 3 strikeouts
Endy Chavez (9): .500/.444/.500
Mike Napoli (8): .143/.250/.571, 3 strikeouts
Yorvit Torrealba (8): .250/.250/.500, 4 strikeouts
Taylor Teagarden (6): .167/.167/.167, 4 strikeouts
Mitch Moreland has faced Lackey twice, while Craig Gentry has only once. Both are hitless.
Omar Quintanilla has not faced the Red Sox starter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins