Josh Reddick’s X-rays negative, Jed Lowrie likely to miss Sunday
|09.03.11 at 8:40 pm ET|
Though the Red Sox beat up on the Rangers with an eight-run fourth inning in a 12-7, they found themselves a bit beat up by day’s end. Shortstop Jed Lowrie left in the fourth inning with left shoulder tightness, while outfielder Josh Reddick finished a 4-for-4 performance by leaving in the eighth inning after being hit by a pitch.
Manager Terry Francona gave updates on both players, and based on what he had to say, it doesn’t seem they expect either situation to be a major issue. Francona noted that though Lowrie had to come out of Saturday’s game, the shoulder issue is not serious, and that the team was just being careful with the infielder. Even so, the manager doesn’t expect to have Lowrie in Sunday’s lineup.
“Jed [was] just stiff, I think probably from a little bit of fatigue,” Francona said. “He’s played a lot. … I don’t think he’ll play tomorrow, [but] he’ll certainly be available. So we’re OK there. That might be me overreacting a little bit. I just don’t want to lose guys.”
Reddick had X-rays taken after leaving the game, but they came back negative. It’s uncertain whether he will play Sunday, but Francona did say that the plunking left a mark.
“[Reddick] got hit pretty good,” Francona said. “He was x-rayed, negative. He’s going to be a little sore tomorrow.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.
- Red Sox name Mike Rikard Director of Amateur Scouting
- Top 40 in Review: Blake Swihart