Marco Scutaro out again for Red Sox
|09.03.11 at 3:33 pm ET|
Shortstop Marco Scutaro will be held out of Boston’s game against the Rangers Saturday afternoon to get another day of rest. Scutaro sat out Friday’s series opener against the Rangers as well.
Jed Lowrie will get his second straight start at shortstop, batting sixth in place of Scutaro. Lowrie is 2-for-3 in his career against Rangers starter Colby Lewis. In his pre-game press conference Saturday, manager Terry Francona said he expects Scutaro will be back for the series finale on Sunday.
“I wanted to give him one more day,” Francona said. “We’ll play him tomorrow. I think these two days [of rest] will be really good for him… he’s a little beat up.”
The veteran shortstop missed five straight games in the middle of August with a sore back, but he had been back in the lineup since Aug. 20. Even with the season winding down, Francona insisted that he is not sitting players to be overly cautious with the post season looming.
“If they need it,” Francona said, referring to resting players in the stretch run. “Not if they don’t need it, but if they need it, it’s very important. We certainly try to keep an eye on them.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando