Marco Scutaro out again for Red Sox
|09.03.11 at 3:33 pm ET|
Shortstop Marco Scutaro will be held out of Boston’s game against the Rangers Saturday afternoon to get another day of rest. Scutaro sat out Friday’s series opener against the Rangers as well.
Jed Lowrie will get his second straight start at shortstop, batting sixth in place of Scutaro. Lowrie is 2-for-3 in his career against Rangers starter Colby Lewis. In his pre-game press conference Saturday, manager Terry Francona said he expects Scutaro will be back for the series finale on Sunday.
“I wanted to give him one more day,” Francona said. “We’ll play him tomorrow. I think these two days [of rest] will be really good for him… he’s a little beat up.”
The veteran shortstop missed five straight games in the middle of August with a sore back, but he had been back in the lineup since Aug. 20. Even with the season winding down, Francona insisted that he is not sitting players to be overly cautious with the post season looming.
“If they need it,” Francona said, referring to resting players in the stretch run. “Not if they don’t need it, but if they need it, it’s very important. We certainly try to keep an eye on them.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe