Saturday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Erik Bedard vs. Colby Lewis
|09.03.11 at 6:55 am ET|
The Red Sox and Rangers will square off in the second game of their three-game series Saturday afternoon at Fenway. Erik Bedard will take another shot at his first win in a Boston uniform, while Colby Lewis will take the mound for the AL West-leading Rangers.
Despite being unable to pick up a win in five starts for the Red Sox, Bedard (0-2, 3.46) has not pitched poorly in his stint in Boston. The lefty has a 3.46 ERA with the Red Sox, and he has walked just nine batters in 26 innings. Poor run support has prevented Bedard from notching his first victory with his new team. Out of all the Boston starters, Bedard has gotten the worst run support since Aug. 1, which is when he joined the team.
Even mother nature seems to be working against Bedard, as a rain delay in his last start against Oakland may have stopped him from picking up a win. Bedard had pitched four scoreless innings in that game but was yanked after a long delay in the top of the fifth. Boston went on to win the game 4-0.
Bedard did struggle a bit down in Texas last week, when he allowed four runs in six innings in Boston’s lone loss of that series. The Rangers are hitting .226 in 169 combined plate appearances against Bedard in his career. Second baseman Ian Kinsler has had the most success against the Boston pitcher, batting .333 in 29 plate appearances. Catcher Mike Napoli has hit two home runs and driven in five against Bedard.
Lewis (11-9, 4.19 ERA) was pounded in his last two starts for the Rangers, allowing 12 runs in 12 innings of work. One of those starts was against the Red Sox on Aug. 23, when Lewis gave up seven earned runs in six innings. Over the last two seasons, Lewis has a 5.34 ERA in five starts against Boston. But Lewis has been excellent on the road this season, with a record of 7-4 and a 2.71 ERA away from Rangers Ballpark.
David Ortiz will be one player trying to put a halt to Lewis’ road success. The Red Sox slugger is hitting .286 with three home runs and five RBIs in 15 plate appearances against Lewis. Adrian Gonzalez has also roughed up Lewis, hitting two home runs and three RBIs against the Rangers starter in Lewis’ loss to Boston last week.
Rangers vs. Bedard
Michael Young (37 plate appearances): .222 BA/.243 OBP/.333 SLG, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Ian Kinsler (29): .333 BA/.379 OBP/.407 SLG, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (17): .176 BA/.176 OBP/.353 SLG, 4 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Josh Hamilton (17): .286 BA/.412 OBP/.571 SLG, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (16): .231 BA/.375 OBP/.692 SLG, 5 RBIs, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Yorvit Torrealba (14): .143 BA/.143 OBP/.357 SLG, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Elvis Andrus (11): .182 BA/.182 OBP/.455 SLG, 2 RBIs, 3 strikeouts
Esteban German (10): .222 BA/.300 OBP/.222 SLG, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
David Murphy (8): .125 BA/.125 OBP/.125 SLG
Andres Blanco (3): 0-for-2, 1 walk
Mitch Moreland (3): 0-for-3, 1 strikeout
Craig Gentry (2): 0-for-1, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Matt Treanor (2): 1-1, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Red Sox vs. Lewis
Marco Scutaro (18 plate appearances): .071 BA/.176 OBP/.071 SLG, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Carl Crawford (15): .273 BA/.400 OBP/.273 SLG, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (15): .286 BA/.333 OBP/.929 SLG, 5 RBIs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (11): .182 BA/.182 OBP/.273 SLG
Jacoby Ellsbury (8): .167 BA/.375 OBP/.167 SLG, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (7): .143 BA/.143 OBP/.286 SLG, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Adrian Gonzalez (6): .833 BA/.833 OBP/2.000 SLG, 3 RBIs
Josh Reddick (5): .200 BA/.200 OBP/.200 SLG
Connor Jackson (4): 1-for-4, 1 strikeout
Jason Varitek (4): 0-for-4, 2 strikeouts
Jed Lowrie (3): 2-for-3, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller