Jonathan Papelbon: ‘We have to start finding our identity’
|09.18.11 at 9:29 am ET|
“I think every game from here on out we have to start sending messages, not only to other teams but to our own team, and start getting that confidence flow as a team,” the closer said. “If we can do that at the right time, that’s all we can ask for.”
Papelbon also offered another priority for the Red Sox as they head into the last 1 1/2 weeks of the regular season, ahead in the Wild Card race by three games.
“We have to start finding our identity, and the only way we’re going to do that is play one out, one play at a time, and gain confidence with each play,” Papelbon explained. “And if we can find that identity and peak at the right time, we’ll be unstoppable.
Thus far in September, the Red Sox are 4-12, having been out-scored by their opponents, 100-85 while making 15 more errors than the other team (15-7).
The last three times the Red Sox made the postseason, they never experienced losing skids like this one in September. In 2007, they did go through a four-game losing streak in the middle of the month, but finished September at 16-11. In ’08, the Sox’ mark in the regular season’s final month was 16-10, with the team finishing out the ’09 campaign at 15-13, having lost six in a row before closing out the regular season with a four-game win streak.
“I think we’re close,” Papelbon said. “The whole puzzle isn’t put together because we still have 40 guys in here. So, we’ll see.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs