Dustin Pedroia: Red Sox playing like a ‘[crappy] team’
|09.22.11 at 10:48 am ET|
Dustin Pedroia knows how bad the Red Sox are playing. It’s so bad that he knows the win total for the month of September but has lost track of the losses. The latest one, of course, came via a 6-4 meltdown at the hands of the Orioles when Josh Beckett, of all people, couldn’t hold a 4-1 lead Wednesday night heading into the seventh inning.
“We’re not playing good,” Pedroia said. “It’s obvious. You don’t win games. What are we this month? Five and …”
He knew the five wins part but had lost track of the losses. Told it’s 16 losses in September, Pedroia didn’t hide his disgust.
“That’s a sign of a [expletive] team. Good teams don’t 5-16 in any month.”
Then came the predictable questions. Is the team pressing?
“I’m not pressing,” Pedroia said. “I don’t think anyone else is. We’re just not winning. That’s it.”
Has the problem become more mental than physical?
“What do you mean? Who’s mental? I don’t know, man. I show up here ready to win. So does everyone else,” Pedroia said. “We need to score more runs than them. We didn’t do that. We haven’t done that in a while.”
What else could the Red Sox try to kick-start their motor?
Anything left we can try? We can play better. That’s basically it.”
Does turning around the season after losing the first six games and opening 2-10 show they are capable of doing the same now?
“I hope,” he said. “It’s the same guys. Hopefully, it can.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers