Dustin Pedroia: Red Sox playing like a ‘[crappy] team’
|09.22.11 at 10:48 am ET|
Dustin Pedroia knows how bad the Red Sox are playing. It’s so bad that he knows the win total for the month of September but has lost track of the losses. The latest one, of course, came via a 6-4 meltdown at the hands of the Orioles when Josh Beckett, of all people, couldn’t hold a 4-1 lead Wednesday night heading into the seventh inning.
“We’re not playing good,” Pedroia said. “It’s obvious. You don’t win games. What are we this month? Five and …”
He knew the five wins part but had lost track of the losses. Told it’s 16 losses in September, Pedroia didn’t hide his disgust.
“That’s a sign of a [expletive] team. Good teams don’t 5-16 in any month.”
Then came the predictable questions. Is the team pressing?
“I’m not pressing,” Pedroia said. “I don’t think anyone else is. We’re just not winning. That’s it.”
Has the problem become more mental than physical?
“What do you mean? Who’s mental? I don’t know, man. I show up here ready to win. So does everyone else,” Pedroia said. “We need to score more runs than them. We didn’t do that. We haven’t done that in a while.”
What else could the Red Sox try to kick-start their motor?
Anything left we can try? We can play better. That’s basically it.”
Does turning around the season after losing the first six games and opening 2-10 show they are capable of doing the same now?
“I hope,” he said. “It’s the same guys. Hopefully, it can.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar (UPDATED)
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen