Dustin Pedroia: Red Sox playing like a ‘[crappy] team’
|09.22.11 at 10:48 am ET|
Dustin Pedroia knows how bad the Red Sox are playing. It’s so bad that he knows the win total for the month of September but has lost track of the losses. The latest one, of course, came via a 6-4 meltdown at the hands of the Orioles when Josh Beckett, of all people, couldn’t hold a 4-1 lead Wednesday night heading into the seventh inning.
“We’re not playing good,” Pedroia said. “It’s obvious. You don’t win games. What are we this month? Five and …”
He knew the five wins part but had lost track of the losses. Told it’s 16 losses in September, Pedroia didn’t hide his disgust.
“That’s a sign of a [expletive] team. Good teams don’t 5-16 in any month.”
Then came the predictable questions. Is the team pressing?
“I’m not pressing,” Pedroia said. “I don’t think anyone else is. We’re just not winning. That’s it.”
Has the problem become more mental than physical?
“What do you mean? Who’s mental? I don’t know, man. I show up here ready to win. So does everyone else,” Pedroia said. “We need to score more runs than them. We didn’t do that. We haven’t done that in a while.”
What else could the Red Sox try to kick-start their motor?
Anything left we can try? We can play better. That’s basically it.”
Does turning around the season after losing the first six games and opening 2-10 show they are capable of doing the same now?
“I hope,” he said. “It’s the same guys. Hopefully, it can.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston