Dustin Pedroia: Red Sox playing like a ‘[crappy] team’
|09.22.11 at 10:48 am ET|
Dustin Pedroia knows how bad the Red Sox are playing. It’s so bad that he knows the win total for the month of September but has lost track of the losses. The latest one, of course, came via a 6-4 meltdown at the hands of the Orioles when Josh Beckett, of all people, couldn’t hold a 4-1 lead Wednesday night heading into the seventh inning.
“We’re not playing good,” Pedroia said. “It’s obvious. You don’t win games. What are we this month? Five and …”
He knew the five wins part but had lost track of the losses. Told it’s 16 losses in September, Pedroia didn’t hide his disgust.
“That’s a sign of a [expletive] team. Good teams don’t 5-16 in any month.”
Then came the predictable questions. Is the team pressing?
“I’m not pressing,” Pedroia said. “I don’t think anyone else is. We’re just not winning. That’s it.”
Has the problem become more mental than physical?
“What do you mean? Who’s mental? I don’t know, man. I show up here ready to win. So does everyone else,” Pedroia said. “We need to score more runs than them. We didn’t do that. We haven’t done that in a while.”
What else could the Red Sox try to kick-start their motor?
Anything left we can try? We can play better. That’s basically it.”
Does turning around the season after losing the first six games and opening 2-10 show they are capable of doing the same now?
“I hope,” he said. “It’s the same guys. Hopefully, it can.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs