Dustin Pedroia: Red Sox playing like a ‘[crappy] team’
|09.22.11 at 10:48 am ET|
Dustin Pedroia knows how bad the Red Sox are playing. It’s so bad that he knows the win total for the month of September but has lost track of the losses. The latest one, of course, came via a 6-4 meltdown at the hands of the Orioles when Josh Beckett, of all people, couldn’t hold a 4-1 lead Wednesday night heading into the seventh inning.
“We’re not playing good,” Pedroia said. “It’s obvious. You don’t win games. What are we this month? Five and …”
He knew the five wins part but had lost track of the losses. Told it’s 16 losses in September, Pedroia didn’t hide his disgust.
“That’s a sign of a [expletive] team. Good teams don’t 5-16 in any month.”
Then came the predictable questions. Is the team pressing?
“I’m not pressing,” Pedroia said. “I don’t think anyone else is. We’re just not winning. That’s it.”
Has the problem become more mental than physical?
“What do you mean? Who’s mental? I don’t know, man. I show up here ready to win. So does everyone else,” Pedroia said. “We need to score more runs than them. We didn’t do that. We haven’t done that in a while.”
What else could the Red Sox try to kick-start their motor?
Anything left we can try? We can play better. That’s basically it.”
Does turning around the season after losing the first six games and opening 2-10 show they are capable of doing the same now?
“I hope,” he said. “It’s the same guys. Hopefully, it can.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo
- 2015 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule take shape
- Red Sox announce trio of front office moves