A look back at Red Sox’ September losses
|09.27.11 at 11:27 am ET|
The Red Sox‘ 6-3 loss to the Orioles Monday night allowed Tampa Bay to tie Boston in the wild card standings. It also put Boston’s record at 6-19 in September, giving the team the worst winning percentage of any team in franchise history for September. The 19 losses are the second-most losses in September in franchise history, behind only the 1952 Red Sox’ 20 losses. Here is a look back at Boston’s collapse.
Sept. 1 vs. Yankees, 4-2: Jon Lester lasts just five innings and the Red Sox bullpen allows three runs in the seventh. Red Sox lead AL East by 1/2 game.
Sept. 2 vs. Rangers, 10-0: The Rangers beat up on Andrew Miller and the Boston bullpen, while the Red Sox offense is nonexistent. Red Sox lose lead in AL East to Yankees, still lead Rays by nine games in AL wild card standings.
Sept. 4 vs. Rangers, 11-4: Texas scores seven runs in the sixth. Red Sox lead down to eight games in wild card.
Sept. 5 vs. Blue Jays, 1-0: The Sox receive solid pitching, even after Josh Beckett leaves in the fourth with an ankle injury, but there is no offense in Toronto’s 1-0, 11th inning win. Red Sox lead seven games in wild card.
Sept. 7 vs. Blue Jays, 11-10: Despite Jacoby Ellsbury‘s four hits, including a three-run HR, the bullpen gives up five in the eighth. Red Sox still lead at seven games in wild card.
Sept. 8 vs. Blue Jays, 7-4: Toronto scores five early runs to power the Jays victory. Red Sox lead 6 1/2 games in wild card.
Sept. 10 vs. Rays, 6-5: The Red Sox tie the score at five apiece in the ninth, but Evan Longoria hits a walk-off single in the 11th. Red Sox lead 4 1/2 games in wild card.
Sept. 11 vs. Rays, 9-1: Lester lasts just four innings, Matt Albers gives up a grand slam and Boston’s offense can’t muster more than a run. Red Sox lead 3 1/2 games in wild card.
Sept. 14 vs. Blue Jays, 5-4: Daniel Bard gives up three runs in the eighth. Red Sox lead four games in wild card.
Sept. 15 vs. Rays, 9-2: Tampa’s offense goes off while Boston can only score two. Red Sox lead three games in wild card.
Sept. 17 vs. Rays, 4-3: Lester picks up the loss after giving up four runs in seven innings. Red Sox lead three games in wild card.
Sept. 18 vs. Rays, 8-5: Four passed balls, two wild pitches and two errors haunt Boston in the regular season finale between the teams. Red Sox lead two games in wild card.
Sept. 19 vs. Orioles, 6-5: In the first game of a day-night doubleheader, the Orioles jump out to an early lead. Red Sox lead 1 1/2 games in wild card.
Sept. 20 vs. Orioles, 7-5: The Sox bullpen gives up three in the eighth to blow Boston’s lead. Red Sox lead two games in wild card.
Sept. 21 vs. Orioles, 6-4: Beckett has a poor start, giving up six runs in 7 1/3 innings. Red Sox still lead two games in wild card.
Sept. 24 vs. Yankees, 9-1: Lester gets lit up for eight runs in 2 2/3 innings in the Yankees‘ 9-1 win. Red Sox lead 1 1/2 games in wild card.
Sept: 25 vs. Yankees, 6-2: Ellsbury’s two homers aren’t enough in the first game of a doubleheader. Red Sox lead 1/2 game in wild card.
Sept. 26 vs. Orioles, 6-3: Robert Andino‘s inside-the-park HR breaks a sixth-inning tie and gives the Orioles the win. Red Sox and Rays tied in wild card standings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins