Why the Red Sox still could acquire pitcher for one-game playoff
|09.27.11 at 6:01 pm ET|
While the scenario of the Red Sox playing a one-game playoff if tied with the Rays at the end of the regular season is a ways from coming to fruition, contingency plans are being hatched in preparation for such a meeting. One of options the Sox would have in finding a starting pitcher for such a game — which would be played Thursday at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg (first pitch at 4:07 p.m.) — is via a trade.
The Red Sox have still kept an open mind when it comes to being presented the chance to trade for a starter, with such a deal being allowed by Major League Baseball due to the fact that a play-in game doesn’t fall under postseason rules.
The hitch in executing such a trade is the timing, with any deal having to be made prior to the end of the day Wednesday (which is considered the conclusion of MLB’s regular season). And since the team might not know if the game would even be played until the conclusion of Wednesday night’s game, the window for any deal could be extremely small.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis