Why the Red Sox still could acquire pitcher for one-game playoff
|09.27.11 at 6:01 pm ET|
While the scenario of the Red Sox playing a one-game playoff if tied with the Rays at the end of the regular season is a ways from coming to fruition, contingency plans are being hatched in preparation for such a meeting. One of options the Sox would have in finding a starting pitcher for such a game — which would be played Thursday at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg (first pitch at 4:07 p.m.) — is via a trade.
The Red Sox have still kept an open mind when it comes to being presented the chance to trade for a starter, with such a deal being allowed by Major League Baseball due to the fact that a play-in game doesn’t fall under postseason rules.
The hitch in executing such a trade is the timing, with any deal having to be made prior to the end of the day Wednesday (which is considered the conclusion of MLB’s regular season). And since the team might not know if the game would even be played until the conclusion of Wednesday night’s game, the window for any deal could be extremely small.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs
- Cup of Coffee: Kelly eyes return to Boston with 10 strikeouts