Why the Red Sox still could acquire pitcher for one-game playoff
|09.27.11 at 6:01 pm ET|
While the scenario of the Red Sox playing a one-game playoff if tied with the Rays at the end of the regular season is a ways from coming to fruition, contingency plans are being hatched in preparation for such a meeting. One of options the Sox would have in finding a starting pitcher for such a game — which would be played Thursday at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg (first pitch at 4:07 p.m.) — is via a trade.
The Red Sox have still kept an open mind when it comes to being presented the chance to trade for a starter, with such a deal being allowed by Major League Baseball due to the fact that a play-in game doesn’t fall under postseason rules.
The hitch in executing such a trade is the timing, with any deal having to be made prior to the end of the day Wednesday (which is considered the conclusion of MLB’s regular season). And since the team might not know if the game would even be played until the conclusion of Wednesday night’s game, the window for any deal could be extremely small.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller