Why the Red Sox still could acquire pitcher for one-game playoff
|09.27.11 at 6:01 pm ET|
While the scenario of the Red Sox playing a one-game playoff if tied with the Rays at the end of the regular season is a ways from coming to fruition, contingency plans are being hatched in preparation for such a meeting. One of options the Sox would have in finding a starting pitcher for such a game — which would be played Thursday at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg (first pitch at 4:07 p.m.) — is via a trade.
The Red Sox have still kept an open mind when it comes to being presented the chance to trade for a starter, with such a deal being allowed by Major League Baseball due to the fact that a play-in game doesn’t fall under postseason rules.
The hitch in executing such a trade is the timing, with any deal having to be made prior to the end of the day Wednesday (which is considered the conclusion of MLB’s regular season). And since the team might not know if the game would even be played until the conclusion of Wednesday night’s game, the window for any deal could be extremely small.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven