Why the Red Sox still could acquire pitcher for one-game playoff
|09.27.11 at 6:01 pm ET|
While the scenario of the Red Sox playing a one-game playoff if tied with the Rays at the end of the regular season is a ways from coming to fruition, contingency plans are being hatched in preparation for such a meeting. One of options the Sox would have in finding a starting pitcher for such a game — which would be played Thursday at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg (first pitch at 4:07 p.m.) — is via a trade.
The Red Sox have still kept an open mind when it comes to being presented the chance to trade for a starter, with such a deal being allowed by Major League Baseball due to the fact that a play-in game doesn’t fall under postseason rules.
The hitch in executing such a trade is the timing, with any deal having to be made prior to the end of the day Wednesday (which is considered the conclusion of MLB’s regular season). And since the team might not know if the game would even be played until the conclusion of Wednesday night’s game, the window for any deal could be extremely small.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017