Wednesday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Jon Lester vs. Alfredo Simon
|09.28.11 at 1:00 pm ET|
In their last scheduled game of the regular season, the Red Sox start Jon Lester with the hope that their ace can deliver in what is essentially a must-win game for Boston Wednesday night. Lester is facing a team that he has had immense success against over the course of his career in the Orioles.
Baltimore will start Alfredo Simon, who will look to pick up his first win in seven starts and play the part of spoiler.
Tied with the Red Sox in the wild card standings are the Rays, who are facing a Yankees team that has already clinched first place in the AL East. David Price will start for Tampa Bay Wednesday, while New York had yet to designate a starter at 1 p.m.
Lester (15-9, 3.49 ERA) has struggled throughout September, along with the rest of the Boston starters. The left-hander is 1-3 with a 5.96 ERA in the month, and he was lit up by the Yankees in his last start on Saturday for eight runs in 2 2/3 innings. But Lester has owned Baltimore throughout his career, posting a 14-0 record with a 2.33 ERA.
The current Orioles lineup has just one home run in 190 combined plate appearances against Lester. Matt Wieters is hitting .348 off of the Boston starter in his career, but he has just one extra-base hit.
Simon (4-9, 4.85 ERA) was converted to a starter in July and has had an up-and-down season since. His worst month has been September, in which Simon is 0-2 with a 6.52 ERA. The right-hander was solid in his last outing, when he pitched eight innings and gave up three runs in a no-decision against Detroit.
In one start against Boston this year, Simon surrendered three runs in 4 2/3 innings. He has not faced any Red Sox batter more than six times in his career. Jacoby Ellsbury has a double and a triple off of Simon in three career plate appearances.
Red Sox vs. Simon
David Ortiz (six career plate appearances): 0-for-4, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Marco Scutaro (6): 1-for-4, 2 walks
Dustin Pedroia (5): 0-for-3, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Kevin Youkilis (5): 2-for-4, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk
J.D. Drew (4): 0-for-4, 3 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (3): 3-for-3, 1 double, 1 triple
Adrian Gonzalez (3): 0-for-2, 1 walk
Josh Reddick (3): 3-for-3, 1 double, 2 RBIs
Jed Lowrie (2): o-for-2
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (2): 0-for-2
Mike Aviles (1): 1-for-1
Carl Crawford (1): 1-for-1
Darnell McDonald (1): 0-for-1
Orioles vs. Lester
Nick Markakis (52 plate appearances): .220 BA/.250 OBP/.320 SLG, 5 doubles, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 11 strikeouts
Adam Jones (37): .219 BA/.324 OBP/.250 SLG, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 5 walks, 13 strikeouts
Vladimir Guerrero (30): .214 BA/.267 OBP/.357 SLG, 1 double, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (24): .348 BA/.375 OBP/.391 SLG, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Nolan Reimold (13): .400 BA/.538 OBP/.500 SLG, 1 double, 3 walks 1 strikeout
Chris Davis (9): 0-for-9, 2 strikeouts
Robert Andino (7): 4-for-7, 1 double
Jake Fox (6): 0-for-6, 1 strikeout
Mark Reynolds (6): 0-for-5, 1 strikeout
Josh Bell (3): 0-for-3
J.J. Hardy (3): 1-for-3, 1 strikeout
Ryan Adams, Matt Angle, Pedro Florimon, Kyle Hudson and Craig Tatum have not faced Lester.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.