If Terry Francona is out, Bill Belichick has his back
|09.30.11 at 1:46 pm ET|
FOXBORO — As reports were surfacing Friday morning at a breakneck pace on the expected departure of Terry Francona from the Red Sox, Patriots coach Bill Belichick reiterated his respect for the man who helped end the 86-year World Series title drought in Boston.
“Yeah, Terry and I are good friends,” Belichick said of Francona’s reported impending departure. “I didn’t realize that that had happened. But great manager, I’m sure that there are a lot of people in baseball that would like to have his record, including the championships. I’ll certainly miss his presence in this area. I’m sure we’ll be friends and still talk and see each other and so forth.”
Belichick, who owns a home in Palm Beach, Fla., would often take time out in March to travel across the state and visit Francona during spring training in Fort Myers.
“That’s disappointing, you know, on a personal level because I like Terry. As I said, he’s certainly had a great record as the manager of the Red Sox. Whatever it was, a hundred and some years without any championships and then they win two of them. That speaks for itself right there.
Belichick said he plans to reach out to Francona, when and if the announcement becomes official but would not reveal what he would say to him.
“Any conversations I have, those are private conversations,” Belichick said. “They’re not public.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin
- Podcast Ep. 88: Breaking down the Kimbrel trade