If Terry Francona is out, Bill Belichick has his back
|09.30.11 at 1:46 pm ET|
FOXBORO — As reports were surfacing Friday morning at a breakneck pace on the expected departure of Terry Francona from the Red Sox, Patriots coach Bill Belichick reiterated his respect for the man who helped end the 86-year World Series title drought in Boston.
“Yeah, Terry and I are good friends,” Belichick said of Francona’s reported impending departure. “I didn’t realize that that had happened. But great manager, I’m sure that there are a lot of people in baseball that would like to have his record, including the championships. I’ll certainly miss his presence in this area. I’m sure we’ll be friends and still talk and see each other and so forth.”
Belichick, who owns a home in Palm Beach, Fla., would often take time out in March to travel across the state and visit Francona during spring training in Fort Myers.
“That’s disappointing, you know, on a personal level because I like Terry. As I said, he’s certainly had a great record as the manager of the Red Sox. Whatever it was, a hundred and some years without any championships and then they win two of them. That speaks for itself right there.
Belichick said he plans to reach out to Francona, when and if the announcement becomes official but would not reveal what he would say to him.
“Any conversations I have, those are private conversations,” Belichick said. “They’re not public.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher
- Cup of Coffee: Mother nature delays Chavis; Moncada stomps PawSox
- Minor Notes: Chavis turns heads in three-homer game