If Terry Francona is out, Bill Belichick has his back
|09.30.11 at 1:46 pm ET|
FOXBORO — As reports were surfacing Friday morning at a breakneck pace on the expected departure of Terry Francona from the Red Sox, Patriots coach Bill Belichick reiterated his respect for the man who helped end the 86-year World Series title drought in Boston.
“Yeah, Terry and I are good friends,” Belichick said of Francona’s reported impending departure. “I didn’t realize that that had happened. But great manager, I’m sure that there are a lot of people in baseball that would like to have his record, including the championships. I’ll certainly miss his presence in this area. I’m sure we’ll be friends and still talk and see each other and so forth.”
Belichick, who owns a home in Palm Beach, Fla., would often take time out in March to travel across the state and visit Francona during spring training in Fort Myers.
“That’s disappointing, you know, on a personal level because I like Terry. As I said, he’s certainly had a great record as the manager of the Red Sox. Whatever it was, a hundred and some years without any championships and then they win two of them. That speaks for itself right there.
Belichick said he plans to reach out to Francona, when and if the announcement becomes official but would not reveal what he would say to him.
“Any conversations I have, those are private conversations,” Belichick said. “They’re not public.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition