Poll: Which revelation in most recent report about Red Sox dysfunction ticked you off most?
|10.12.11 at 9:25 am ET|
For those who haven’t read Bob Hohler‘s look at the dysfunction within the Red Sox clubhouse during their collapse, I suggest you take a gander. It paints the picture of multiple causes for the disaster that was the worst September fade in Major League Baseball history. Of the instances touched on were:
‘¢ Team sources were concerned that manager Terry Francona was distracted by a troubled marriage and mounting health problems. Those sources also suggested that the manager’s performance may have also been affected his use of pain medication. (Both notions are vehemently denied by Francona.) The report also stated that Francona was concerned about the safety of his son, Nick, and son-in-law, Michael Rice, who were both serving in Afghanistan.
‘¢ Even after principal owner John Henry offered $300 headphones, along with the chance to conduct a team get-together on his yacht, following the scheduling issues due to Hurricane Irene, the Sox failed to respond.
‘¢ Starting pitchers Jon Lester, Josh Beckett, John Lackey and Clay Buchholz continued a practice that dated back to 2010 in which they would drink beer, eat fried chicken and play video games in the clubhouse during games. The group was also cited by a source as cutting back on their exercise regimens despite the urging of strength and conditioning coach Dave Page.
‘¢ Tim Wakefield‘s quest for personal records (200 wins, Red Sox career leader in wins) was perceived as the pitcher’s priority, with the story citing a quote to FoxSports.com (“I think the fans deserve an opportunity to chase that record”) as raising some eyebrows within the organization.
‘¢ Sources suggested there was a lack of leadership among the veterans, noting in particular the ineffectiveness of captain Jason Varitek. As was previously reported by WEEI.com, David Ortiz did attempt to rally the clubhouse with a players-only meeting in September, but also, as stated in Hohler’s piece, was singled out more for rants directed toward Francona regarding a scoring decision and the reluctance to use Alfredo Aceves in the starting rotation.
‘¢ Jacoby Ellsbury‘s relationship with his teammates was “chilled” after the incidents of 2010. (Note: For what it’s worth, this was one example of perceived dysfunction that I wouldn’t necessarily totally agree with. Ellsbury clearly socialized and regularly interacted with more than just one player — Jed Lowrie — as the report suggested).
‘¢ “The gift of leadership also eluded Adrian Gonzalez.”
‘¢ The report states that ownership was divided over general manager Theo Epstein‘s push to sign Carl Crawford.
So there you have it. Really good report … and now your thoughts:
Which recent Red Sox revelation got you the most upset?
- Starting pitchers eating, drinking and playing video games during Sox games (59%, 1,063 Votes)
- The team's lack of leadership (22%, 390 Votes)
- The alleged distraction of Terry Francona's personal issues (10%, 173 Votes)
- Tim Wakefield's focus on personal goals (7%, 118 Votes)
- Ownership's apparent division over the signing of Carl Crawford (3%, 46 Votes)
- Jacoby Ellsbury's alleged seclusion following last season's controversy (1%, 24 Votes)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins