From the ‘Do as I say and not as I did’ department: Phil Plantier is the new Padres hitting coach
|10.30.11 at 3:00 pm ET|
According to FoxSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, former Red Sox outfielder Phil Plantier has been named hitting coach for the Padres. The 42-year-old Plantier had been the hitting coach and manager for the Padres’ Single-A Lake Elsinore Storm for the 2011 season. In ’10 he was the minor league hitting coordinator for the Mariners.
In case you forgot, Plantier was one of the most highly touted prospects in the Red Sox system in the late 1980s and early ’90s, eventually making it to the majors in ’91, finishing eighth in American League Rookie of the Year balloting.
After a lackluster ’92 season in which the lefty slugger batted .246 with just seven homers while striking out 83 times in 108 games, Plantier was traded to San Diego for reliever Jose Melendez. The New Hampshire native turned in his best year in his first season with the Padres in ’93, mashing 34 home runs while totaling an .843 OPS.
But Plantier’s major league career would soon fizzle out at the age of 28, ending with a stint the Cardinals in ’97.
Still, what Plantier truly left behind for all Red Sox fans was memories of one of the most outrageous batting stances in team history (as our good friend Batting Stance Guy demonstrates in the following video at the 3:40 mark).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two