From the ‘Do as I say and not as I did’ department: Phil Plantier is the new Padres hitting coach
|10.30.11 at 3:00 pm ET|
According to FoxSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, former Red Sox outfielder Phil Plantier has been named hitting coach for the Padres. The 42-year-old Plantier had been the hitting coach and manager for the Padres’ Single-A Lake Elsinore Storm for the 2011 season. In ’10 he was the minor league hitting coordinator for the Mariners.
In case you forgot, Plantier was one of the most highly touted prospects in the Red Sox system in the late 1980s and early ’90s, eventually making it to the majors in ’91, finishing eighth in American League Rookie of the Year balloting.
After a lackluster ’92 season in which the lefty slugger batted .246 with just seven homers while striking out 83 times in 108 games, Plantier was traded to San Diego for reliever Jose Melendez. The New Hampshire native turned in his best year in his first season with the Padres in ’93, mashing 34 home runs while totaling an .843 OPS.
But Plantier’s major league career would soon fizzle out at the age of 28, ending with a stint the Cardinals in ’97.
Still, what Plantier truly left behind for all Red Sox fans was memories of one of the most outrageous batting stances in team history (as our good friend Batting Stance Guy demonstrates in the following video at the 3:40 mark).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered