From the ‘Do as I say and not as I did’ department: Phil Plantier is the new Padres hitting coach
|10.30.11 at 3:00 pm ET|
According to FoxSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, former Red Sox outfielder Phil Plantier has been named hitting coach for the Padres. The 42-year-old Plantier had been the hitting coach and manager for the Padres’ Single-A Lake Elsinore Storm for the 2011 season. In ’10 he was the minor league hitting coordinator for the Mariners.
In case you forgot, Plantier was one of the most highly touted prospects in the Red Sox system in the late 1980s and early ’90s, eventually making it to the majors in ’91, finishing eighth in American League Rookie of the Year balloting.
After a lackluster ’92 season in which the lefty slugger batted .246 with just seven homers while striking out 83 times in 108 games, Plantier was traded to San Diego for reliever Jose Melendez. The New Hampshire native turned in his best year in his first season with the Padres in ’93, mashing 34 home runs while totaling an .843 OPS.
But Plantier’s major league career would soon fizzle out at the age of 28, ending with a stint the Cardinals in ’97.
Still, what Plantier truly left behind for all Red Sox fans was memories of one of the most outrageous batting stances in team history (as our good friend Batting Stance Guy demonstrates in the following video at the 3:40 mark).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven