From the ‘Do as I say and not as I did’ department: Phil Plantier is the new Padres hitting coach
|10.30.11 at 3:00 pm ET|
According to FoxSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, former Red Sox outfielder Phil Plantier has been named hitting coach for the Padres. The 42-year-old Plantier had been the hitting coach and manager for the Padres’ Single-A Lake Elsinore Storm for the 2011 season. In ’10 he was the minor league hitting coordinator for the Mariners.
In case you forgot, Plantier was one of the most highly touted prospects in the Red Sox system in the late 1980s and early ’90s, eventually making it to the majors in ’91, finishing eighth in American League Rookie of the Year balloting.
After a lackluster ’92 season in which the lefty slugger batted .246 with just seven homers while striking out 83 times in 108 games, Plantier was traded to San Diego for reliever Jose Melendez. The New Hampshire native turned in his best year in his first season with the Padres in ’93, mashing 34 home runs while totaling an .843 OPS.
But Plantier’s major league career would soon fizzle out at the age of 28, ending with a stint the Cardinals in ’97.
Still, what Plantier truly left behind for all Red Sox fans was memories of one of the most outrageous batting stances in team history (as our good friend Batting Stance Guy demonstrates in the following video at the 3:40 mark).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs
- Cup of Coffee: Kelly eyes return to Boston with 10 strikeouts