Hot Stove: Yankees sign CC Sabathia to record-setting extension
|10.31.11 at 10:05 pm ET|
Sabathia had the right to opt out of the final four years and $92 million of the seven-year, $161 million deal he signed with the Yankees prior to the 2009 season. However, instead of exercising that right, he agreed upon a one-year, $25 million extension that includes a $25 million team vesting option for 2017 that includes a $5 million buyout. The result of the deal is that Sabathia will now earn a guaranteed $24.4 million per year over the next five seasons, the largest average annual value for a multi-year deal in major league history.
Sabathia, who turned 31 in July, has been dominant for the Yankees during his three seasons in New York. He has made 101 starts (tied for third most in the majors), logged 705 innings (fourth in the majors), has a 3.18 ERA (14th in the majors and fifth in the AL, min. 400 innings), 59 wins (second in the majors) and a .720 winning percentage (second). He has been as consistent as virtually any starter in the majors over the last five years, making between 33 and 35 starts each year, winning 17-21 games every year, logging at least 230 innings and striking out at least 197 batters in each season.
“My goal the whole time was to be able to finish my career as a Yankee,” Sabathia said in a video posted on Twitter. “I look forward to seeing everybody out at the ballpark next year.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles