Hot Stove: Yankees sign CC Sabathia to record-setting extension
|10.31.11 at 10:05 pm ET|
Sabathia had the right to opt out of the final four years and $92 million of the seven-year, $161 million deal he signed with the Yankees prior to the 2009 season. However, instead of exercising that right, he agreed upon a one-year, $25 million extension that includes a $25 million team vesting option for 2017 that includes a $5 million buyout. The result of the deal is that Sabathia will now earn a guaranteed $24.4 million per year over the next five seasons, the largest average annual value for a multi-year deal in major league history.
Sabathia, who turned 31 in July, has been dominant for the Yankees during his three seasons in New York. He has made 101 starts (tied for third most in the majors), logged 705 innings (fourth in the majors), has a 3.18 ERA (14th in the majors and fifth in the AL, min. 400 innings), 59 wins (second in the majors) and a .720 winning percentage (second). He has been as consistent as virtually any starter in the majors over the last five years, making between 33 and 35 starts each year, winning 17-21 games every year, logging at least 230 innings and striking out at least 197 batters in each season.
“My goal the whole time was to be able to finish my career as a Yankee,” Sabathia said in a video posted on Twitter. “I look forward to seeing everybody out at the ballpark next year.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday