Hot Stove: Yankees sign CC Sabathia to record-setting extension
|10.31.11 at 10:05 pm ET|
Sabathia had the right to opt out of the final four years and $92 million of the seven-year, $161 million deal he signed with the Yankees prior to the 2009 season. However, instead of exercising that right, he agreed upon a one-year, $25 million extension that includes a $25 million team vesting option for 2017 that includes a $5 million buyout. The result of the deal is that Sabathia will now earn a guaranteed $24.4 million per year over the next five seasons, the largest average annual value for a multi-year deal in major league history.
Sabathia, who turned 31 in July, has been dominant for the Yankees during his three seasons in New York. He has made 101 starts (tied for third most in the majors), logged 705 innings (fourth in the majors), has a 3.18 ERA (14th in the majors and fifth in the AL, min. 400 innings), 59 wins (second in the majors) and a .720 winning percentage (second). He has been as consistent as virtually any starter in the majors over the last five years, making between 33 and 35 starts each year, winning 17-21 games every year, logging at least 230 innings and striking out at least 197 batters in each season.
“My goal the whole time was to be able to finish my career as a Yankee,” Sabathia said in a video posted on Twitter. “I look forward to seeing everybody out at the ballpark next year.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates