Hot Stove: David Wright on trading block?
|11.06.11 at 12:54 pm ET|
After a 77-85 season which was good enough for fourth place in the National League East, the Mets are fully entrenched in the rebuilding process, which seems to include moving away from shortstop Jose Reyes and third baseman David Wright as the foundations of the team.
Reyes is a free agent this offseason after finishing a five-year, $33.75 million contract with the Mets in the 2011 season. He won the National League batting title in 2011 with a .337 batting average, but asked manager Terry Collins to remove him from the final game of the season after Reyes’ bunt single in the first inning ensured he would finish two points ahead of Ryan Braun in the batting race.
Wright is scheduled to make $15 million in 2012 with the Mets before entering an option year for 2013, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported that the Mets may not wait to get away from Wright.
Sherman quoted a Mets official as saying that New York will look into trades for Wright.
“We will listen on Wright for sure,” the official said. “We know we are not going to win it all in 2012. We have to hope the Phillies get old and we are in position to take advantage of that in 2013-14, and we have to figure out ways to speed the process to get there.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler