Hot Stove: David Wright on trading block?
|11.06.11 at 12:54 pm ET|
After a 77-85 season which was good enough for fourth place in the National League East, the Mets are fully entrenched in the rebuilding process, which seems to include moving away from shortstop Jose Reyes and third baseman David Wright as the foundations of the team.
Reyes is a free agent this offseason after finishing a five-year, $33.75 million contract with the Mets in the 2011 season. He won the National League batting title in 2011 with a .337 batting average, but asked manager Terry Collins to remove him from the final game of the season after Reyes’ bunt single in the first inning ensured he would finish two points ahead of Ryan Braun in the batting race.
Wright is scheduled to make $15 million in 2012 with the Mets before entering an option year for 2013, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported that the Mets may not wait to get away from Wright.
Sherman quoted a Mets official as saying that New York will look into trades for Wright.
“We will listen on Wright for sure,” the official said. “We know we are not going to win it all in 2012. We have to hope the Phillies get old and we are in position to take advantage of that in 2013-14, and we have to figure out ways to speed the process to get there.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers