Hot Stove: David Wright on trading block?
|11.06.11 at 12:54 pm ET|
After a 77-85 season which was good enough for fourth place in the National League East, the Mets are fully entrenched in the rebuilding process, which seems to include moving away from shortstop Jose Reyes and third baseman David Wright as the foundations of the team.
Reyes is a free agent this offseason after finishing a five-year, $33.75 million contract with the Mets in the 2011 season. He won the National League batting title in 2011 with a .337 batting average, but asked manager Terry Collins to remove him from the final game of the season after Reyes’ bunt single in the first inning ensured he would finish two points ahead of Ryan Braun in the batting race.
Wright is scheduled to make $15 million in 2012 with the Mets before entering an option year for 2013, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported that the Mets may not wait to get away from Wright.
Sherman quoted a Mets official as saying that New York will look into trades for Wright.
“We will listen on Wright for sure,” the official said. “We know we are not going to win it all in 2012. We have to hope the Phillies get old and we are in position to take advantage of that in 2013-14, and we have to figure out ways to speed the process to get there.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome