Hot Stove: If Michael Cuddyer is taken, could Red Sox pursue Martin Prado?
|11.06.11 at 2:57 pm ET|
Red Sox GM Ben Cherington identified finding a right-handed hitting outfielder as an offseason priority for the team, but with the Phillies reportedly hot in pursuit of 32-year-old Michael Cuddyer, one of the best available players who fits that description might not be an option for long. So who else is on the board?
One possibility beyond Cuddyer could be Martin Prado, a right-handed 28-year-old whom the Braves are reportedly open to dealing, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney. Prado has established himself as a solid major leaguer, playing in over 120 games for the Braves in each of the last three seasons. From 2008-10, he hit .309 with a .358 OBP, .461 slugging mark and .819 OPS before dipping to marks of .260/.302/.385/.687 in 2011.
Prado saw most of his action in left field last season, playing in 100 games there while making three errors, helping in six outfield assists, and earning a .983 fielding percentage. He’s played just two innings in right field in his career; if he’s not able to do so going forward, given that Carl Crawford is viewed as an everyday player, his potential fit for the Sox could come into question.
That said, if Cuddyer ends up moving off the market quickly, then the Sox and other teams will have to contemplate alternatives, and Prado could emerge as a potential target.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs