Hot Stove: If Michael Cuddyer is taken, could Red Sox pursue Martin Prado?
|11.06.11 at 2:57 pm ET|
Red Sox GM Ben Cherington identified finding a right-handed hitting outfielder as an offseason priority for the team, but with the Phillies reportedly hot in pursuit of 32-year-old Michael Cuddyer, one of the best available players who fits that description might not be an option for long. So who else is on the board?
One possibility beyond Cuddyer could be Martin Prado, a right-handed 28-year-old whom the Braves are reportedly open to dealing, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney. Prado has established himself as a solid major leaguer, playing in over 120 games for the Braves in each of the last three seasons. From 2008-10, he hit .309 with a .358 OBP, .461 slugging mark and .819 OPS before dipping to marks of .260/.302/.385/.687 in 2011.
Prado saw most of his action in left field last season, playing in 100 games there while making three errors, helping in six outfield assists, and earning a .983 fielding percentage. He’s played just two innings in right field in his career; if he’s not able to do so going forward, given that Carl Crawford is viewed as an everyday player, his potential fit for the Sox could come into question.
That said, if Cuddyer ends up moving off the market quickly, then the Sox and other teams will have to contemplate alternatives, and Prado could emerge as a potential target.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs