Hot Stove: If Michael Cuddyer is taken, could Red Sox pursue Martin Prado?
|11.06.11 at 2:57 pm ET|
Red Sox GM Ben Cherington identified finding a right-handed hitting outfielder as an offseason priority for the team, but with the Phillies reportedly hot in pursuit of 32-year-old Michael Cuddyer, one of the best available players who fits that description might not be an option for long. So who else is on the board?
One possibility beyond Cuddyer could be Martin Prado, a right-handed 28-year-old whom the Braves are reportedly open to dealing, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney. Prado has established himself as a solid major leaguer, playing in over 120 games for the Braves in each of the last three seasons. From 2008-10, he hit .309 with a .358 OBP, .461 slugging mark and .819 OPS before dipping to marks of .260/.302/.385/.687 in 2011.
Prado saw most of his action in left field last season, playing in 100 games there while making three errors, helping in six outfield assists, and earning a .983 fielding percentage. He’s played just two innings in right field in his career; if he’s not able to do so going forward, given that Carl Crawford is viewed as an everyday player, his potential fit for the Sox could come into question.
That said, if Cuddyer ends up moving off the market quickly, then the Sox and other teams will have to contemplate alternatives, and Prado could emerge as a potential target.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two