Hot Stove: If Michael Cuddyer is taken, could Red Sox pursue Martin Prado?
|11.06.11 at 2:57 pm ET|
Red Sox GM Ben Cherington identified finding a right-handed hitting outfielder as an offseason priority for the team, but with the Phillies reportedly hot in pursuit of 32-year-old Michael Cuddyer, one of the best available players who fits that description might not be an option for long. So who else is on the board?
One possibility beyond Cuddyer could be Martin Prado, a right-handed 28-year-old whom the Braves are reportedly open to dealing, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney. Prado has established himself as a solid major leaguer, playing in over 120 games for the Braves in each of the last three seasons. From 2008-10, he hit .309 with a .358 OBP, .461 slugging mark and .819 OPS before dipping to marks of .260/.302/.385/.687 in 2011.
Prado saw most of his action in left field last season, playing in 100 games there while making three errors, helping in six outfield assists, and earning a .983 fielding percentage. He’s played just two innings in right field in his career; if he’s not able to do so going forward, given that Carl Crawford is viewed as an everyday player, his potential fit for the Sox could come into question.
That said, if Cuddyer ends up moving off the market quickly, then the Sox and other teams will have to contemplate alternatives, and Prado could emerge as a potential target.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers