Hot Stove: Red Sox had interest in Jonathan Sanchez but weren’t a match
|11.07.11 at 5:27 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox had some interest in Giants left-hander Jonathan Sanchez before he was dealt to the Royals for outfielder Melky Cabrera. Boston and San Francisco did not match up as trade partners, however, given the Giants’ interest in acquiring an everyday major league outfielder in return.
Sanchez, who turns 29 this month, struggled to a 4-7 record and 4.26 ERA in 19 starts last year, as injuries and walks (a career-high 5.9 per nine innings) resulted in diminished effectiveness. The Sox had concerns about his ankle and his strike-throwing ability.
Even so, the hard-throwing left-hander has struck out 9.4 batters per nine innings throughout his career, and he was a significant contributor to the Giants team that won the World Series in 2010, going 13-9 with a 3.07 ERA and 205 strikeouts (as well as an NL-high 96 walks) that season.
Even so, the Sox weren’t a match for the Giants, who instead moved to acquire Cabrera, who hit .305 with a .339 OBP, .470 slugging mark, .809 OPS, 18 homers, 87 RBI and 20 steals (in 30 attempts) while playing all three outfield positions for the Royals in 2011.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound