Hot Stove: Red Sox had interest in Jonathan Sanchez but weren’t a match
|11.07.11 at 5:27 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox had some interest in Giants left-hander Jonathan Sanchez before he was dealt to the Royals for outfielder Melky Cabrera. Boston and San Francisco did not match up as trade partners, however, given the Giants’ interest in acquiring an everyday major league outfielder in return.
Sanchez, who turns 29 this month, struggled to a 4-7 record and 4.26 ERA in 19 starts last year, as injuries and walks (a career-high 5.9 per nine innings) resulted in diminished effectiveness. The Sox had concerns about his ankle and his strike-throwing ability.
Even so, the hard-throwing left-hander has struck out 9.4 batters per nine innings throughout his career, and he was a significant contributor to the Giants team that won the World Series in 2010, going 13-9 with a 3.07 ERA and 205 strikeouts (as well as an NL-high 96 walks) that season.
Even so, the Sox weren’t a match for the Giants, who instead moved to acquire Cabrera, who hit .305 with a .339 OBP, .470 slugging mark, .809 OPS, 18 homers, 87 RBI and 20 steals (in 30 attempts) while playing all three outfield positions for the Royals in 2011.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome