Tim Wallach won’t be next up in Red Sox manager search
|11.17.11 at 12:06 am ET|
MILWAUKEE — Speculation regarding potential names on the Red Sox list of candidates for the team’s vacant manager position was rekindled Wednesday night when Sox president Larry Lucchino and general manager Ben Cherington both said the organization was most likely going to expand its pool of interviewees.
Despite the likelihood that the team will meet with a new candidate, two names that still won’t be part of the process are Tim Wallach and Dave Martinez.
Wallach, who was once considered a leading candidate to be interviewed by the Red Sox for their search, has not been eligible to be included in the team’s interviewing process due to a clause in his contract with the Dodgers.
The 54-year-old, who has been serving as the Dodgers’ third base coach, has a stipulation in his current contract that states teams have a brief window after the season’s completion to ask for permission to interview Wallach for a managing job. The Red Sox did not ask for permission to talk to the former major league hitting coach and Triple-A manager prior to the expiration of that window.
Martinez, the Tampa Bay bench coach, fell out of consideration during the due diligence phase of the process, as he was simply viewed (by both the Sox and Cubs) as not being a strong enough candidate to justify an interview. Early on in the process, the 47-year-old’s name had been included in most conversations regarding who might be brought in for interviews by thosee teams.
Multiple reports stated late Wednesday night that Dale Sveum, a finalist for the Red Sox’ manager job, had been offered the Cubs’ managerial position. FoxSports.com reported that the Red Sox had not made Sveum an offer at the time of Chicago’s offer.
For more on where the Sox stand in their search, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston