Tim Wallach won’t be next up in Red Sox manager search
|11.17.11 at 12:06 am ET|
MILWAUKEE — Speculation regarding potential names on the Red Sox list of candidates for the team’s vacant manager position was rekindled Wednesday night when Sox president Larry Lucchino and general manager Ben Cherington both said the organization was most likely going to expand its pool of interviewees.
Despite the likelihood that the team will meet with a new candidate, two names that still won’t be part of the process are Tim Wallach and Dave Martinez.
Wallach, who was once considered a leading candidate to be interviewed by the Red Sox for their search, has not been eligible to be included in the team’s interviewing process due to a clause in his contract with the Dodgers.
The 54-year-old, who has been serving as the Dodgers’ third base coach, has a stipulation in his current contract that states teams have a brief window after the season’s completion to ask for permission to interview Wallach for a managing job. The Red Sox did not ask for permission to talk to the former major league hitting coach and Triple-A manager prior to the expiration of that window.
Martinez, the Tampa Bay bench coach, fell out of consideration during the due diligence phase of the process, as he was simply viewed (by both the Sox and Cubs) as not being a strong enough candidate to justify an interview. Early on in the process, the 47-year-old’s name had been included in most conversations regarding who might be brought in for interviews by thosee teams.
Multiple reports stated late Wednesday night that Dale Sveum, a finalist for the Red Sox’ manager job, had been offered the Cubs’ managerial position. FoxSports.com reported that the Red Sox had not made Sveum an offer at the time of Chicago’s offer.
For more on where the Sox stand in their search, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens