Where the Red Sox stand in their managerial search as the GM meetings wind down
|11.17.11 at 12:17 am ET|
MILWAUKEE — The Red Sox‘ managerial search took a surprising turn on Wednesday night in Milwaukee with word that Dale Sveum, considered at one point the front-runner in the Red Sox’ search for a manager, was being offered the same job by the Cubs. That news followed close on the heels of the Sox’ feeling that they might want to broaden their candidate pool beyond the five known first-round candidates.
According to an industry source, the Sox are not prepared to offer their managerial job to Sveum at this time. As such, the team expects that he will accept the job with the Cubs and that the search process will have to advance in the absence of the former Boston third base coach.
Red Sox GM Ben Cherington offered a number of insights about the status of the Red Sox’ managerial search on Wednesday night. Among them:
— The Sox have been granted an extension of the window of permission to talk with four of five first-round candidates: Sveum, Indians bench coach Sandy Alomar Jr., Blue Jays first base coach Torey Lovullo and Tigers third base coach Gene Lamont. Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin has been told he’s no longer in consideration for the position.
— Cherington said that, while not a certainty, it is his “expectation” that the Sox will add at least one candidate to the process who was not part of the first round.
“I’m not dissatisfied with the candidates we have. It’s just we feel like there are some unique circumstances here,” said Cherington. “This is not just any manager’s job. This is one where we do feel we’re ready to win and there are challenges that related to what happened to what happened last year and just generally in the Boston market.
“I’ve been very happy with the candidates and our next manager could very well come from those candidates,” he added. “But we’re not ruling out adding to that field.’
— Cherington said that the Sox are not considering anyone who is currently a big league manager of another team.
— The Sox are also not considering adding a candidate who was on their coaching staff in 2011, thus ruling out DeMarlo Hale and Tim Bogar.
— Cherington said that the team plans on having second-round interviews with at least one or two candidates beyond Sveum, something that may prove a necessity rather than a choice, given that Sveum appears likely to be assume the manager’s seat in Chicago.
— Despite the possibility that the Cubs might offer their managing job to Sveum, however, Cherington said that the Sox’ prospective expansion of their search was not a result of a concurrent, potentially competing search in Chicago.
“If the Cubs hire someone from that pool, then that was the right person for them. Like I said all along, it’s not necessarily the same. The right person is not necessarily the same person for both teams,” said Cherington. “If we expand the pool, which we may, I don’t think it has anything to do with the cubs. I think it has more to do with the Red Sox.’
— With Cherington slated to travel to the Dominican Republic in the coming days, the Sox’ managerial search may well extend beyond its initial target date of Thanksgiving.
— As WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford explains, neither Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach nor Rays bench coach Dave Martinez is expected to be interviewed by the Red Sox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller