Hot Stove: Rays reportedly interested in OF Josh Willingham
|12.06.11 at 11:43 am ET|
The Rays are reportedly interested in making free agent outfielder Josh Willingham their designated hitter in 2012. Willingham had a career season last year, hitting 29 home runs and 98 RBIs for the Athletics, both seasonal highs.
Willingham spent the first five years of his career with the Marlins. He was traded to the Nationals following the 2008 season. At the end of 2010, Willingham was dealt to the Athletics. The 32-year-old has hit at least 20 home runs in every season in which he has played 133 games or more.
The Rays also will likely retain Andrew Friedman as their GM and executive vice president of baseball operations, as Friedman withdrew his name from the Astros general manager search.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists