Hot Stove: Rays reportedly interested in OF Josh Willingham
|12.06.11 at 11:43 am ET|
The Rays are reportedly interested in making free agent outfielder Josh Willingham their designated hitter in 2012. Willingham had a career season last year, hitting 29 home runs and 98 RBIs for the Athletics, both seasonal highs.
Willingham spent the first five years of his career with the Marlins. He was traded to the Nationals following the 2008 season. At the end of 2010, Willingham was dealt to the Athletics. The 32-year-old has hit at least 20 home runs in every season in which he has played 133 games or more.
The Rays also will likely retain Andrew Friedman as their GM and executive vice president of baseball operations, as Friedman withdrew his name from the Astros general manager search.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo