Hot Stove: Rays reportedly interested in OF Josh Willingham
|12.06.11 at 11:43 am ET|
The Rays are reportedly interested in making free agent outfielder Josh Willingham their designated hitter in 2012. Willingham had a career season last year, hitting 29 home runs and 98 RBIs for the Athletics, both seasonal highs.
Willingham spent the first five years of his career with the Marlins. He was traded to the Nationals following the 2008 season. At the end of 2010, Willingham was dealt to the Athletics. The 32-year-old has hit at least 20 home runs in every season in which he has played 133 games or more.
The Rays also will likely retain Andrew Friedman as their GM and executive vice president of baseball operations, as Friedman withdrew his name from the Astros general manager search.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game
- The Write-Up: Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Couch leads PawSox to Series win
- Cup of Coffee: Owens struggles, pushing PawSox to the brink
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket drops game two in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket takes game one of Governor's Cup
- Rusney Castillo flashes exciting potential in Triple-A debut
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes