Hot Stove: Red Sox not a match for Mets on Jonathon Niese
|12.07.11 at 8:10 pm ET|
DALLAS — While the Red Sox have been casting a wide net in their explorations of the pitching market, it does not appear that the team will be a match with the Mets on 25-year-old left-hander Jonathon Niese. The Mets, according to a major league source, are not shopping Niese, and remain happy to retain him. However, as they generally do on all their players, the Mets have been listening to proposals from interested teams. There does not, however, to be a match with the Red Sox, as the Mets do not believe that Boston has the kind of players whom they would seek in a haul for a cost-effective young starter.
Niese went 11-11 with a 4.40 ERA for the Mets in 27 games (26 starts) in 2011 with 7.9 strikeouts and 2.5 walks per nine innings. He has just two-plus years of service time, meaning that he will not be arbitration-eligible until after the 2012 season, and won’t be eligible for free agency until after 2016.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?