Hot Stove: Red Sox not a match for Mets on Jonathon Niese
|12.07.11 at 8:10 pm ET|
DALLAS — While the Red Sox have been casting a wide net in their explorations of the pitching market, it does not appear that the team will be a match with the Mets on 25-year-old left-hander Jonathon Niese. The Mets, according to a major league source, are not shopping Niese, and remain happy to retain him. However, as they generally do on all their players, the Mets have been listening to proposals from interested teams. There does not, however, to be a match with the Red Sox, as the Mets do not believe that Boston has the kind of players whom they would seek in a haul for a cost-effective young starter.
Niese went 11-11 with a 4.40 ERA for the Mets in 27 games (26 starts) in 2011 with 7.9 strikeouts and 2.5 walks per nine innings. He has just two-plus years of service time, meaning that he will not be arbitration-eligible until after the 2012 season, and won’t be eligible for free agency until after 2016.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins