Hot Stove: Red Sox not a match for Mets on Jonathon Niese
|12.07.11 at 8:10 pm ET|
DALLAS — While the Red Sox have been casting a wide net in their explorations of the pitching market, it does not appear that the team will be a match with the Mets on 25-year-old left-hander Jonathon Niese. The Mets, according to a major league source, are not shopping Niese, and remain happy to retain him. However, as they generally do on all their players, the Mets have been listening to proposals from interested teams. There does not, however, to be a match with the Red Sox, as the Mets do not believe that Boston has the kind of players whom they would seek in a haul for a cost-effective young starter.
Niese went 11-11 with a 4.40 ERA for the Mets in 27 games (26 starts) in 2011 with 7.9 strikeouts and 2.5 walks per nine innings. He has just two-plus years of service time, meaning that he will not be arbitration-eligible until after the 2012 season, and won’t be eligible for free agency until after 2016.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Mike Andrews
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Ian Cundall
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Matt Huegel
- Sox have seventh pick in draft
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Chris Hatfield
- SoxProspects.com 2014 season-end award winners
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #64: Playing Out the Stretch
- Weekly Notes: Prospects flock to Boston
- 2014 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule