Hot Stove: Red Sox not a match for Mets on Jonathon Niese
|12.07.11 at 8:10 pm ET|
DALLAS — While the Red Sox have been casting a wide net in their explorations of the pitching market, it does not appear that the team will be a match with the Mets on 25-year-old left-hander Jonathon Niese. The Mets, according to a major league source, are not shopping Niese, and remain happy to retain him. However, as they generally do on all their players, the Mets have been listening to proposals from interested teams. There does not, however, to be a match with the Red Sox, as the Mets do not believe that Boston has the kind of players whom they would seek in a haul for a cost-effective young starter.
Niese went 11-11 with a 4.40 ERA for the Mets in 27 games (26 starts) in 2011 with 7.9 strikeouts and 2.5 walks per nine innings. He has just two-plus years of service time, meaning that he will not be arbitration-eligible until after the 2012 season, and won’t be eligible for free agency until after 2016.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar (UPDATED)
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen