Red Sox lose LHP Cesar Cabral to Yankees in Rule 5 draft
|12.08.11 at 10:14 am ET|
DALLAS — For the second straight season, the Red Sox lost left-hander Cesar Cabral to the Rule 5 draft.
This marks the second straight winter meetings that has seen the Sox part ways with Cabral, who was selected by the Royals on Thursday and then traded to the Yankees. Yankees GM Brian Cashman told reporters that Cabral could be a second lefty in the New York bullpen behind Boone Logan.
A year ago, the 22-year-old was selected by the Rays in the Rule 5, but was placed on waivers by Tampa Bay in spring training. He was briefly claimed by the Blue Jays, but ultimately ended up back with the Red Sox when he did not stick in Toronto.
Cabral went on to have a solid year in High-A Salem and Double-A Portland, producing a 2.95 ERA, 70 strikeouts and 22 walks in a combined 55 innings. He features a solid fastball that is typically in the 93-94 mph vicinity, as well as a slider that produces swings and misses and a developing changeup.
His combination of stuff, left-handedness and age led the Sox to anticipate that he might be selected by another organization; at the same time, he is raw enough that the team believes there is a good chance that it could get Cabral back (something that will happen if he does not stick in the majors all year with the Yankees or, if he is claimed off waivers, another team), explaining why he was not placed on the 40-man roster.
Even so, the number of players who have stuck with the teams selecting them in the Rule 5 draft has increased in recent years. And Cabral has the strikeout numbers and stuff to be intriguing.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando