Cubs hire scout Matt Dorey from Red Sox
|12.20.11 at 7:48 am ET|
When Theo Epstein resigned from his post as general manager of the Red Sox to become president of baseball operations with the Cubs, it was with an understanding that there would be no raid on his former Sox baseball operations staff. Epstein could hire one Sox employee, and it could not be one of the top-level employees in the department.
And so, according to multiple industry sources, the Cubs ended up hiring Red Sox area scout Matt Dorey, who had been an evaluator in Louisiana and Texas in the last two years after having started for the club as a Northwest area scout in 2007, when current Cubs assistant GM Jason McLeod was the Red Sox director of amateur scouting. Dorey will be promoted to the position of national crosschecker with the Cubs.
Dorey was considered one of the top evaluators for the Sox, something reflected both in the key region that he was assigned to cover and in the fact that he was credited with signing several top Sox picks in recent years. Among the players credited to Dorey were right-hander Anthony Ranaudo (sandwich pick, 2010), third baseman Garin Cecchini (2010 fourth round), outfielder Kendrick Perkins (2010 sixth round) and Lucas LeBlanc (2010 11th round), a group in which the Sox invested nearly $5 million in one draft.
Dorey is the second prominent Sox amateur scout to be hired away in recent days. Danny Haas, who had been the Sox’ East Coast crosschecker, was hired last week as an Orioles national crosschecker.
The Cubs have also hired former Red Sox pro scout Kyle Evans, but that was not a violation of the agreement given that Evans already was leaving the Sox. And Epstein and the Cubs may also try to hire former Red Sox VP of international scouting and player personnel Craig Shipley, who has parted ways with the Sox after having been replaced last month as the Sox’ director of international scouting. Shipley was one of the first front office hires by Epstein when he became Sox GM in 2002.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo