Cubs hire scout Matt Dorey from Red Sox
|12.20.11 at 7:48 am ET|
When Theo Epstein resigned from his post as general manager of the Red Sox to become president of baseball operations with the Cubs, it was with an understanding that there would be no raid on his former Sox baseball operations staff. Epstein could hire one Sox employee, and it could not be one of the top-level employees in the department.
And so, according to multiple industry sources, the Cubs ended up hiring Red Sox area scout Matt Dorey, who had been an evaluator in Louisiana and Texas in the last two years after having started for the club as a Northwest area scout in 2007, when current Cubs assistant GM Jason McLeod was the Red Sox director of amateur scouting. Dorey will be promoted to the position of national crosschecker with the Cubs.
Dorey was considered one of the top evaluators for the Sox, something reflected both in the key region that he was assigned to cover and in the fact that he was credited with signing several top Sox picks in recent years. Among the players credited to Dorey were right-hander Anthony Ranaudo (sandwich pick, 2010), third baseman Garin Cecchini (2010 fourth round), outfielder Kendrick Perkins (2010 sixth round) and Lucas LeBlanc (2010 11th round), a group in which the Sox invested nearly $5 million in one draft.
Dorey is the second prominent Sox amateur scout to be hired away in recent days. Danny Haas, who had been the Sox’ East Coast crosschecker, was hired last week as an Orioles national crosschecker.
The Cubs have also hired former Red Sox pro scout Kyle Evans, but that was not a violation of the agreement given that Evans already was leaving the Sox. And Epstein and the Cubs may also try to hire former Red Sox VP of international scouting and player personnel Craig Shipley, who has parted ways with the Sox after having been replaced last month as the Sox’ director of international scouting. Shipley was one of the first front office hires by Epstein when he became Sox GM in 2002.
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox 40-man roster additions expected
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Surprise wins title, struggles continue for Webster