Hiroki Kuroda will remain in MLB; to decide on team in ‘next couple of days’
|01.09.12 at 11:42 am ET|
According to NPB Tracker, multiple media outlets in Japan are reporting that free agent pitcher Hiroki Kuroda has informed the Hiroshima Carp that he intends to pitch in the Major Leagues in 2012. The report also passes along news from Chugoku Shimbun that Kuroda intends to decide on his destination for ’12 “within the next couple of days.”
The Red Sox have continued to express interest in Kuroda — who is open to pitching on the East Coast — but fitting the right-hander’s price tag into the team’s current budget may be a challenge unless another roster move is made. Kuroda is expected to make around $12-$13 million for ’12.
In other Hot Stove news, according to multiple reports, the Blue Jays have come to terms with 41-year-old lefty reliever Darren Oliver on a one-year, $4 million deal, which also includes a $3 million club option for ’12. Oliver went 5-5 with a 2.29 in 61 appearances for the Rangers in ’11, cementing him as a Type B free agent. The Rangers will receive a supplementary draft pick for the signing (tentatively slotted in as No. 51, according to MLB Trade Rumors).
Oliver, who played for the Red Sox in ’02, is represented by former Red Sox infielder Jeff Frye. It is the largest free agent contract committed by Toronto general manager Alex Anthopolous since taking over the job more than two years ago.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates