Hiroki Kuroda will remain in MLB; to decide on team in ‘next couple of days’
|01.09.12 at 11:42 am ET|
According to NPB Tracker, multiple media outlets in Japan are reporting that free agent pitcher Hiroki Kuroda has informed the Hiroshima Carp that he intends to pitch in the Major Leagues in 2012. The report also passes along news from Chugoku Shimbun that Kuroda intends to decide on his destination for ’12 “within the next couple of days.”
The Red Sox have continued to express interest in Kuroda — who is open to pitching on the East Coast — but fitting the right-hander’s price tag into the team’s current budget may be a challenge unless another roster move is made. Kuroda is expected to make around $12-$13 million for ’12.
In other Hot Stove news, according to multiple reports, the Blue Jays have come to terms with 41-year-old lefty reliever Darren Oliver on a one-year, $4 million deal, which also includes a $3 million club option for ’12. Oliver went 5-5 with a 2.29 in 61 appearances for the Rangers in ’11, cementing him as a Type B free agent. The Rangers will receive a supplementary draft pick for the signing (tentatively slotted in as No. 51, according to MLB Trade Rumors).
Oliver, who played for the Red Sox in ’02, is represented by former Red Sox infielder Jeff Frye. It is the largest free agent contract committed by Toronto general manager Alex Anthopolous since taking over the job more than two years ago.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher
- Cup of Coffee: Mother nature delays Chavis; Moncada stomps PawSox
- Minor Notes: Chavis turns heads in three-homer game