Hiroki Kuroda will remain in MLB; to decide on team in ‘next couple of days’
|01.09.12 at 11:42 am ET|
According to NPB Tracker, multiple media outlets in Japan are reporting that free agent pitcher Hiroki Kuroda has informed the Hiroshima Carp that he intends to pitch in the Major Leagues in 2012. The report also passes along news from Chugoku Shimbun that Kuroda intends to decide on his destination for ’12 “within the next couple of days.”
The Red Sox have continued to express interest in Kuroda — who is open to pitching on the East Coast — but fitting the right-hander’s price tag into the team’s current budget may be a challenge unless another roster move is made. Kuroda is expected to make around $12-$13 million for ’12.
In other Hot Stove news, according to multiple reports, the Blue Jays have come to terms with 41-year-old lefty reliever Darren Oliver on a one-year, $4 million deal, which also includes a $3 million club option for ’12. Oliver went 5-5 with a 2.29 in 61 appearances for the Rangers in ’11, cementing him as a Type B free agent. The Rangers will receive a supplementary draft pick for the signing (tentatively slotted in as No. 51, according to MLB Trade Rumors).
Oliver, who played for the Red Sox in ’02, is represented by former Red Sox infielder Jeff Frye. It is the largest free agent contract committed by Toronto general manager Alex Anthopolous since taking over the job more than two years ago.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven