Hiroki Kuroda will remain in MLB; to decide on team in ‘next couple of days’
|01.09.12 at 11:42 am ET|
According to NPB Tracker, multiple media outlets in Japan are reporting that free agent pitcher Hiroki Kuroda has informed the Hiroshima Carp that he intends to pitch in the Major Leagues in 2012. The report also passes along news from Chugoku Shimbun that Kuroda intends to decide on his destination for ’12 “within the next couple of days.”
The Red Sox have continued to express interest in Kuroda — who is open to pitching on the East Coast — but fitting the right-hander’s price tag into the team’s current budget may be a challenge unless another roster move is made. Kuroda is expected to make around $12-$13 million for ’12.
In other Hot Stove news, according to multiple reports, the Blue Jays have come to terms with 41-year-old lefty reliever Darren Oliver on a one-year, $4 million deal, which also includes a $3 million club option for ’12. Oliver went 5-5 with a 2.29 in 61 appearances for the Rangers in ’11, cementing him as a Type B free agent. The Rangers will receive a supplementary draft pick for the signing (tentatively slotted in as No. 51, according to MLB Trade Rumors).
Oliver, who played for the Red Sox in ’02, is represented by former Red Sox infielder Jeff Frye. It is the largest free agent contract committed by Toronto general manager Alex Anthopolous since taking over the job more than two years ago.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve