Hiroki Kuroda will remain in MLB; to decide on team in ‘next couple of days’
|01.09.12 at 11:42 am ET|
According to NPB Tracker, multiple media outlets in Japan are reporting that free agent pitcher Hiroki Kuroda has informed the Hiroshima Carp that he intends to pitch in the Major Leagues in 2012. The report also passes along news from Chugoku Shimbun that Kuroda intends to decide on his destination for ’12 “within the next couple of days.”
The Red Sox have continued to express interest in Kuroda — who is open to pitching on the East Coast — but fitting the right-hander’s price tag into the team’s current budget may be a challenge unless another roster move is made. Kuroda is expected to make around $12-$13 million for ’12.
In other Hot Stove news, according to multiple reports, the Blue Jays have come to terms with 41-year-old lefty reliever Darren Oliver on a one-year, $4 million deal, which also includes a $3 million club option for ’12. Oliver went 5-5 with a 2.29 in 61 appearances for the Rangers in ’11, cementing him as a Type B free agent. The Rangers will receive a supplementary draft pick for the signing (tentatively slotted in as No. 51, according to MLB Trade Rumors).
Oliver, who played for the Red Sox in ’02, is represented by former Red Sox infielder Jeff Frye. It is the largest free agent contract committed by Toronto general manager Alex Anthopolous since taking over the job more than two years ago.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated