Carl Crawford undergoes arthroscopic surgery on left wrist
|01.17.12 at 4:02 pm ET|
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington revealed that outfielder Carl Crawford has undergone arthroscopic surgery on his left wrist after experiencing discomfort while hitting earlier in January.
While Cherington wouldn’t put a timetable on Crawford’s return to the Red Sox lineup, the GM did say that he expects the left fielder to be hitting “at some point in spring training,” and ready to return to the Sox’ starting lineup “at some point very early in the season.”
Crawford experienced some soreness in the wrist toward the end of the 2011 season, with the pain reoccurring upon ramping up his hitting activity around New Year’s.
“It was consistent with soreness he had periodically over the last several years, but more concerning to Carl given the time of year he was feeling it,” said Cherington regarding the injury, which is on the outside portion of Crawford’s left wrist.
Dr. Donald Sheridan, who has previously examined the outfielder, performed an MRI after Crawford recently complained of the soreness. Sheridan ultimately performed the surgery in Scottsdale, Ariz.
“We’re not ruling out Opening Day,” Cherington said, “but we’re not going to put a timeline on it. Carl will be ready exactly when he’s ready. There’s nobody who works harder than Carl, so I’m confident he’ll be back and playing soon. We just don’t know exactly when.”
Cherington said the surgery won’t affect how the Red Sox approach building the outfield heading into the 2012 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs