Carl Crawford undergoes arthroscopic surgery on left wrist
|01.17.12 at 4:02 pm ET|
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington revealed that outfielder Carl Crawford has undergone arthroscopic surgery on his left wrist after experiencing discomfort while hitting earlier in January.
While Cherington wouldn’t put a timetable on Crawford’s return to the Red Sox lineup, the GM did say that he expects the left fielder to be hitting “at some point in spring training,” and ready to return to the Sox’ starting lineup “at some point very early in the season.”
Crawford experienced some soreness in the wrist toward the end of the 2011 season, with the pain reoccurring upon ramping up his hitting activity around New Year’s.
“It was consistent with soreness he had periodically over the last several years, but more concerning to Carl given the time of year he was feeling it,” said Cherington regarding the injury, which is on the outside portion of Crawford’s left wrist.
Dr. Donald Sheridan, who has previously examined the outfielder, performed an MRI after Crawford recently complained of the soreness. Sheridan ultimately performed the surgery in Scottsdale, Ariz.
“We’re not ruling out Opening Day,” Cherington said, “but we’re not going to put a timeline on it. Carl will be ready exactly when he’s ready. There’s nobody who works harder than Carl, so I’m confident he’ll be back and playing soon. We just don’t know exactly when.”
Cherington said the surgery won’t affect how the Red Sox approach building the outfield heading into the 2012 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash