Carl Crawford undergoes arthroscopic surgery on left wrist
|01.17.12 at 4:02 pm ET|
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington revealed that outfielder Carl Crawford has undergone arthroscopic surgery on his left wrist after experiencing discomfort while hitting earlier in January.
While Cherington wouldn’t put a timetable on Crawford’s return to the Red Sox lineup, the GM did say that he expects the left fielder to be hitting “at some point in spring training,” and ready to return to the Sox’ starting lineup “at some point very early in the season.”
Crawford experienced some soreness in the wrist toward the end of the 2011 season, with the pain reoccurring upon ramping up his hitting activity around New Year’s.
“It was consistent with soreness he had periodically over the last several years, but more concerning to Carl given the time of year he was feeling it,” said Cherington regarding the injury, which is on the outside portion of Crawford’s left wrist.
Dr. Donald Sheridan, who has previously examined the outfielder, performed an MRI after Crawford recently complained of the soreness. Sheridan ultimately performed the surgery in Scottsdale, Ariz.
“We’re not ruling out Opening Day,” Cherington said, “but we’re not going to put a timeline on it. Carl will be ready exactly when he’s ready. There’s nobody who works harder than Carl, so I’m confident he’ll be back and playing soon. We just don’t know exactly when.”
Cherington said the surgery won’t affect how the Red Sox approach building the outfield heading into the 2012 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- August Players of the Month: Manuel Margot and Brian Johnson
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox win league championship
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split