Red Sox only talked one-year deal with Jacoby Ellsbury
|01.17.12 at 4:57 pm ET|
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said when asked if he had talked with Jacoby Ellsbury’s agent, Scott Boras, about a multi-year deal before agreeing on the outfielder’s one-year, $8.05 million contract, “We only discussed a one-year deal.
Ellsbury is in the second year of arbitration eligibility, having agreed on a $2.4 million deal prior to the 2011 season.
Former Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein told the Dennis and Callahan Show in July that the team had previously talked with Ellsbury’s representatives about a multi-year deal, with no progress being made.
Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, who is comparable to Ellsbury in terms of age and numbers, avoided his final year of arbitration eligibility by agreeing to an eight-year, $160 million contract at the end of the ’11 campaign.
After agreeing to one-year deals with Ellsbury and Mike Aviles ($1.2 million) , the Red Sox now have four arbitration-eligible players who have yet to be signed. Teams and unsigned arbitration-eligible players had until noon Tuesday to exchanged figures for any impending hearings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando