Red Sox only talked one-year deal with Jacoby Ellsbury
|01.17.12 at 4:57 pm ET|
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said when asked if he had talked with Jacoby Ellsbury’s agent, Scott Boras, about a multi-year deal before agreeing on the outfielder’s one-year, $8.05 million contract, “We only discussed a one-year deal.
Ellsbury is in the second year of arbitration eligibility, having agreed on a $2.4 million deal prior to the 2011 season.
Former Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein told the Dennis and Callahan Show in July that the team had previously talked with Ellsbury’s representatives about a multi-year deal, with no progress being made.
Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, who is comparable to Ellsbury in terms of age and numbers, avoided his final year of arbitration eligibility by agreeing to an eight-year, $160 million contract at the end of the ’11 campaign.
After agreeing to one-year deals with Ellsbury and Mike Aviles ($1.2 million) , the Red Sox now have four arbitration-eligible players who have yet to be signed. Teams and unsigned arbitration-eligible players had until noon Tuesday to exchanged figures for any impending hearings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts