Red Sox only talked one-year deal with Jacoby Ellsbury
|01.17.12 at 4:57 pm ET|
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said when asked if he had talked with Jacoby Ellsbury’s agent, Scott Boras, about a multi-year deal before agreeing on the outfielder’s one-year, $8.05 million contract, “We only discussed a one-year deal.
Ellsbury is in the second year of arbitration eligibility, having agreed on a $2.4 million deal prior to the 2011 season.
Former Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein told the Dennis and Callahan Show in July that the team had previously talked with Ellsbury’s representatives about a multi-year deal, with no progress being made.
Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, who is comparable to Ellsbury in terms of age and numbers, avoided his final year of arbitration eligibility by agreeing to an eight-year, $160 million contract at the end of the ’11 campaign.
After agreeing to one-year deals with Ellsbury and Mike Aviles ($1.2 million) , the Red Sox now have four arbitration-eligible players who have yet to be signed. Teams and unsigned arbitration-eligible players had until noon Tuesday to exchanged figures for any impending hearings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss