Dustin Pedroia on The Big Show: Punk’d by Andre Ethier
|01.25.12 at 6:14 pm ET|
Yet the visit was particularly noteworthy for another reason, as the second baseman was confronted with a phone call from “Andrew, calling from his car.”
“People keep talking about this Punto and Aviles, I think they should be starting over you, they should be in the middle infield now,” the caller said. “I’ve been watching you play over the years and you ain’t that good.
“They already got rid of Scutaro, they should probably get rid of you, too,” the caller added in his rant.
Pedroia was quick to respond.
“Let me break it down for you, Andrew,” Pedroia, who won Rookie of the Year honors in 2007 and the AL MVP in 2008, responded. “I’ve got a couple of pieces of hardware at my house that says I’m pretty damn good.”
But lost in all the trash talk and back-and-forth banter was a simple truth — Andrew was, in fact, Dodgers All-Star rightfielder Andre Ethier, one of Pedroia’s closest friends.
“Nobody’s punking me, trust me,” Pedroia said after finding out the caller was actually Ethier (after he guessed incorrectly that it was Curt Schilling). “That was some great lines I just dropped there and, ‘Dre, you will be washing my stuff here in the next couple of days, man. Are you kidding me?”
“Defensively, he’s [a] pretty special defensive player,” Pedroia said. “I got to play with him in spring training and when he was up last year for that time, taking ground balls with him, getting to know him. He can flat-out play defense.
“I get on him a lot about being too flashy and stuff because he’ll go out and flip it, and I’ll say, ‘Hey man, you’re going to go out and flip one into right field one time and you’re going to have 36,000 people booing you.’ I try and get on him, make sure he keeps with the fundamentals because I think he’s so good that sometimes he gets bored out there, which can be taken care of.”
Following are more highlights from the conversation. To hear the interview, go to The Big Show audio on demand page.
On Nick Punto: ‘He’s a gamer ‘ he does the little things that helps your team. He’ll make all the plays, he’ll make some spectacular plays. I remember he made a couple of plays against us and I’m like, ‘What the heck was that?’ and he gets the out at first base. He’s going to play great defense, he can bunt, he can hit-and-run, he’ll get that big hit in a few situations.”
On Mike Aviles: ‘Mike, getting to play with him last year, he’s got a lot of power. From playing against him a few years back, I think it was in ‘08 or ‘09, we couldn’t get him out, so he can flat-out hit and he’s got a great arm. I know he had Tommy John [surgery] a few years ago and missed a year, but he’s got a rocket launcher for an arm. We’ll be fine, we’ll figure it out.’
On his reaction to the Scutaro trade: “I thought the way Marco played last year, especially at the end of the year, what he brought to our team, I was definitely surprised. At the end of the year, Marco played some pretty darn good baseball. It’s going to be tough. Marco was one of those guys that, he’s a gamer. He’s out there, plays hurt, does little things to help your team win, plays solid defense and always seemed to get that big hit when your team needs it. It’s going to be tough losing him, but we’ve got to start finding ways to overcome that, get out there and figure it out.”
On a potential move to shortstop: “No, I haven’t talked to anybody, man. I’m just trying to get ready for spring training, doing my thing, hitting on the field, taking groundballs and working out. I haven’t talked to anybody from the Red Sox in probably a month and a half.”
On watching the Super Bowl now with the 49ers eliminated: “I’m all for the Patriots, man. I’m all for them now, I’m a believer in them. My team’s gone, my second team’s there.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven