Red Sox lock up highly-regarded Australian teenage pitcher Daniel McGrath
|02.07.12 at 7:59 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox have agreed to terms with highly-touted 17-year-old pitcher Daniel McGrath. The news was first reported via a tweet from the Doncaster Dragons Baseball Club (based in Australia).
UPDATE: According to a major league source, McGrath received a $400,000 signing bonus from the Red Sox.
McGrath will travel to Fort Myers for just more than a week during spring training, but then return to Australia where he won’t graduate from high school until December. The 6-foot-3 southpaw will also pitch in the under-18 Nationals for a third time, having already shown the best velocity (approximately 91 mph) of any Australian pitcher to throw in the tournament.
According to one major league source, there were 15 big league organizations interested in McGrath, who narrowed down his decision to three teams at the end. A longtime Red Sox fan, McGrath turned down richer offers from other teams in order to sign with the Sox, the source added. The Red Sox were represented at Tuesday’s signing by the organization’s scouting director for the Pacific region, Jon Deeble, who first saw the big lefty pitch four years ago.
McGrath was thought to be leaning toward playing college baseball in the United States until recently. He was thought to have drawn the most interest from major league clubs of any Australian teenager in at least the past 10 years.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft