Clay Buchholz got a surprise when he stepped on the scale Monday
|02.21.12 at 10:38 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Every spring training, Clay Buchholz‘ weight seems to be a storyline.
There was great excitement the previous two reporting dates when the 27-year-old came into camp weighing close to 200 pounds.
Then came Monday’s physical, a new reality was thrown Buchholz’ way: The scale had him at 184 pounds.
While in past years the thinned-down 6-foot-3 might be cause for concern — suggesting that the righty would have a hard time turning in an ample amount of injuries with such a build ‘ the listed weight might actually be an encouraging sign.
Back injuries and extra weight don’t usually go well together, suggesting this is trending in the proper direction
‘The weight came off so easy that it felt like it almost needed to come off,’ Buchholz said Tuesday morning. ‘I feel better now just being able to move around. I feel lighter on my feet than I did last year, all year. It came off quick in a month. That’s sort of why I don’t mind it.’
Does it mean that this is where the weight should have been all along?
‘I hope so, because that’s what it feels like,’ Buchholz said. ‘It feels good.
‘I knew I was lighter. I didn’t know I was 10 pounds lighter than at the beginning of the offseason. I was talking to Pedroia this offseason and he said, ‘They want me to weigh 185, but I feel good playing at 165 or 170. It doesn’t matter how much you weigh as long as you can do your job and help the team win.’’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller