Clay Buchholz got a surprise when he stepped on the scale Monday
|02.21.12 at 10:38 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Every spring training, Clay Buchholz‘ weight seems to be a storyline.
There was great excitement the previous two reporting dates when the 27-year-old came into camp weighing close to 200 pounds.
Then came Monday’s physical, a new reality was thrown Buchholz’ way: The scale had him at 184 pounds.
While in past years the thinned-down 6-foot-3 might be cause for concern — suggesting that the righty would have a hard time turning in an ample amount of injuries with such a build ‘ the listed weight might actually be an encouraging sign.
Back injuries and extra weight don’t usually go well together, suggesting this is trending in the proper direction
‘The weight came off so easy that it felt like it almost needed to come off,’ Buchholz said Tuesday morning. ‘I feel better now just being able to move around. I feel lighter on my feet than I did last year, all year. It came off quick in a month. That’s sort of why I don’t mind it.’
Does it mean that this is where the weight should have been all along?
‘I hope so, because that’s what it feels like,’ Buchholz said. ‘It feels good.
‘I knew I was lighter. I didn’t know I was 10 pounds lighter than at the beginning of the offseason. I was talking to Pedroia this offseason and he said, ‘They want me to weigh 185, but I feel good playing at 165 or 170. It doesn’t matter how much you weigh as long as you can do your job and help the team win.’’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.