Health updates on Aaron Cook and Ross Ohlendorf
|02.21.12 at 9:19 am ET|
FORT MYERS — While Aaron Cook and Ross Ohlendorf will be on slightly different schedules than the other pitchers who are being stretched out as starters, both pitchers suggest that the pace reflects nothing more than a cautious approach and is not indicative of some meaningful ailment.
Cook, who is in camp on a minor league contract, has dealt with shoulder issues in both 2010 and 2011. As a result, even though he has thrown two bullpen sessions — including a 35-pitch bullpen yesterday that “felt great” — the Sox are going to take a slightly conservative approach to building up his workload this spring.
“I just think it’s a little precautionary thing,” said Cook. “They just want to make sure I don’t jump the gun too fast and end up taking a couple steps back. I feel like I’m right where I need to be. As long as I keep taking steps and moving forward, I don’t think there’s any issues.”
As for Ohlendorf, who signed a minor league deal with the Sox last week, he is dealing with minor back stiffness after traveling to Fort Myers from his home in Austin, Texas.
“I just didn’t throw for a couple days,” said Ohlendorf. “I just kind of sat for three days.”
Ohlendorf said that he otherwise has felt great this spring, and suggested that his delayed start to throwing bullpens is unrelated to the shoulder issues that burdened him in both 2010 and 2011.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot