Health updates on Aaron Cook and Ross Ohlendorf
|02.21.12 at 9:19 am ET|
FORT MYERS — While Aaron Cook and Ross Ohlendorf will be on slightly different schedules than the other pitchers who are being stretched out as starters, both pitchers suggest that the pace reflects nothing more than a cautious approach and is not indicative of some meaningful ailment.
Cook, who is in camp on a minor league contract, has dealt with shoulder issues in both 2010 and 2011. As a result, even though he has thrown two bullpen sessions — including a 35-pitch bullpen yesterday that “felt great” — the Sox are going to take a slightly conservative approach to building up his workload this spring.
“I just think it’s a little precautionary thing,” said Cook. “They just want to make sure I don’t jump the gun too fast and end up taking a couple steps back. I feel like I’m right where I need to be. As long as I keep taking steps and moving forward, I don’t think there’s any issues.”
As for Ohlendorf, who signed a minor league deal with the Sox last week, he is dealing with minor back stiffness after traveling to Fort Myers from his home in Austin, Texas.
“I just didn’t throw for a couple days,” said Ohlendorf. “I just kind of sat for three days.”
Ohlendorf said that he otherwise has felt great this spring, and suggested that his delayed start to throwing bullpens is unrelated to the shoulder issues that burdened him in both 2010 and 2011.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven