Health updates on Aaron Cook and Ross Ohlendorf
|02.21.12 at 9:19 am ET|
FORT MYERS — While Aaron Cook and Ross Ohlendorf will be on slightly different schedules than the other pitchers who are being stretched out as starters, both pitchers suggest that the pace reflects nothing more than a cautious approach and is not indicative of some meaningful ailment.
Cook, who is in camp on a minor league contract, has dealt with shoulder issues in both 2010 and 2011. As a result, even though he has thrown two bullpen sessions — including a 35-pitch bullpen yesterday that “felt great” — the Sox are going to take a slightly conservative approach to building up his workload this spring.
“I just think it’s a little precautionary thing,” said Cook. “They just want to make sure I don’t jump the gun too fast and end up taking a couple steps back. I feel like I’m right where I need to be. As long as I keep taking steps and moving forward, I don’t think there’s any issues.”
As for Ohlendorf, who signed a minor league deal with the Sox last week, he is dealing with minor back stiffness after traveling to Fort Myers from his home in Austin, Texas.
“I just didn’t throw for a couple days,” said Ohlendorf. “I just kind of sat for three days.”
Ohlendorf said that he otherwise has felt great this spring, and suggested that his delayed start to throwing bullpens is unrelated to the shoulder issues that burdened him in both 2010 and 2011.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.