Meet the next Red Sox shortstop to wear No. 5
|02.23.12 at 10:02 am ET|
The new Sox infielder chose No. 5 to wear with his new team, but only after traveling secretary Jack McCormick made a call to the last shorstop to wear the digit ‘ Nomar Garciaparra ‘ for approval.
‘I want to call him, thank him and tell him how honored I am to wear it,’ said Punto of Garciaparra. ‘He taught me a lot as a young player when we were working out at [Athletes Performance]. I just always looked up to him as a person and a player. I’m honored.’
(It should be noted that one player, Rocco Baldelli, has worn No. 5 since Garciaparra left in ’04.)
Punto had first started wearing the number in honor of George Brett as a kid before being derailed after Double-A, leading to a big league identification of No. 8.
‘It’s pretty cool. I was excited,’ Punto added. ‘I didn’t know how that was going to be. I knew I wasn’t going to be [Carl Yastrzemski], so I had to change it up and, I was a single-digit guy.’
The first chance Punto had to wear his new number, and new uniform, came Wednesday when he went out to field grounders with Jose Iglesias.
One moment of note: On one slow-roller, Punto charged and casually flipped the ball, on the run, to second base, sailing it over the fielder’s head. Immediately a voice bellowed from the nearby dugout.
‘If you turn your foot a little bit more that doesn’t happen. You know that Nick.’
The words came from manager Bobby Valentine, a good 50 yards away, and offered a reminder what was waiting for Punto in the coming season.
‘That’s not typical, but, you know what, it’s Bobby Valentine,’ he said. ‘He knows what he’s talking about. And what he’s yelling about was right on. I knew what I did. It was spot-on and for him to pick that up at that speed, wow. For me, that was the moment I knew Bobby knows his stuff.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville