John Henry: Red Sox, Cubs had ‘basic misunderstanding’ on Theo Epstein compensation
|02.25.12 at 11:37 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — In the end, Red Sox owners suggested the proper outcome occurred in the negotiations with the Cubs for compensation for permitting former Boston GM Theo Epstein to leave his post with one year left on his contract to become the president of baseball operations for the Cubs. Earlier this week, the Red Sox received right-hander Chris Carpenter and a player to be named from Chicago in exchange for a player to be named.
That said, principal owner John Henry said that there was some misunderstanding in his conversations with Cubs owner Tom Ricketts that led to what he viewed as a somewhat unsatisfying outcome.
“How satisfied are we?” mused Henry. “In a negotiation, both sides are never, if it’s a tough negotiation, both sides are generally a little unhappy with the way it works. The Cubs probably aren’t ‘happy’ with it; we probably aren’t ‘happy’ with it. Given the amount of time that was spent on it, it probably was the appropriate result.
“I think there was a basic misunderstanding between Tom Ricketts and I when we first spoke about it,” added Henry. “I really admire Tom Ricketts as an owner. He’s one of the best owners in baseball. It’s a great organization. We probably had a misunderstanding at least as far as expectation. There was no real agreement. It was just sort of, the best way to explain it is we probably had different expectations based on the first conversation as to what was transpiring.”
Carpenter is a hard-throwing right-hander with a 95-100 mph fastball and a slider who projects as a likely late-innings relief option in the near future. While Lucchino acknowledged on WEEI’s Dennis & Callahan show that he did not represent the type of haul that the Sox had expected in exchange for Epstein, he and the team were no longer dwelling on a matter that’s now resolved.
“‘We have a saying at the Red Sox ‘ you’ve heard it before ‘ all’s well that ends, period,” said Lucchino. “Let’s move on, next issue.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates