John Henry: Red Sox, Cubs had ‘basic misunderstanding’ on Theo Epstein compensation
|02.25.12 at 11:37 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — In the end, Red Sox owners suggested the proper outcome occurred in the negotiations with the Cubs for compensation for permitting former Boston GM Theo Epstein to leave his post with one year left on his contract to become the president of baseball operations for the Cubs. Earlier this week, the Red Sox received right-hander Chris Carpenter and a player to be named from Chicago in exchange for a player to be named.
That said, principal owner John Henry said that there was some misunderstanding in his conversations with Cubs owner Tom Ricketts that led to what he viewed as a somewhat unsatisfying outcome.
“How satisfied are we?” mused Henry. “In a negotiation, both sides are never, if it’s a tough negotiation, both sides are generally a little unhappy with the way it works. The Cubs probably aren’t ‘happy’ with it; we probably aren’t ‘happy’ with it. Given the amount of time that was spent on it, it probably was the appropriate result.
“I think there was a basic misunderstanding between Tom Ricketts and I when we first spoke about it,” added Henry. “I really admire Tom Ricketts as an owner. He’s one of the best owners in baseball. It’s a great organization. We probably had a misunderstanding at least as far as expectation. There was no real agreement. It was just sort of, the best way to explain it is we probably had different expectations based on the first conversation as to what was transpiring.”
Carpenter is a hard-throwing right-hander with a 95-100 mph fastball and a slider who projects as a likely late-innings relief option in the near future. While Lucchino acknowledged on WEEI’s Dennis & Callahan show that he did not represent the type of haul that the Sox had expected in exchange for Epstein, he and the team were no longer dwelling on a matter that’s now resolved.
“‘We have a saying at the Red Sox ‘ you’ve heard it before ‘ all’s well that ends, period,” said Lucchino. “Let’s move on, next issue.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller