|Poll: What is your opinion of Josh Beckett’s priorities?||02.27.12 at 12:22 pm ET|
Red Sox pitcher Josh Beckett revealed in an interview with WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford that he shifted his primary focus from the team to his family last season, as his wife gave birth to the couple’s first child only hours after the season-ending loss to the Orioles.
“If somebody reads this or somebody thinks I’m wrong, they can go [expletive] themselves,” he said of those who are critical of his decision. “That’s the truth. That’s what’s important to me. I’m not saying baseball is not important. I could differentiate on the day I was pitching. I went out there and I was still as competitive. I’m not saying my mind was only focused on just this pitch because I did have other things on my mind. Whether you want to understand that or not, I don’t care because I know who I am and what I’m trying to do.”
What is your opinion of Josh Beckett now?
- He can prioritize his family, but he should keep comments like these to himself. (35%)
- He is right to prioritize family over team and everyone should respect that. (35%)
- For what he gets paid, he should be more focused on his job. (24%)
- He should be 100 percent focused on baseball from April to October. (6%)
- Cup of Coffee: Spring's walk-off grand slam lifts Portland
- Bradley: "Everything's back to normal"
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox, Drive produce walk-off wins
- PawSox activate Jackie Bradley, Jr. from disabled list
- Weekly Notes: De La Rosa, Betts take center stage
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw leads 18-hit attack in Sea Dogs rout
- Cup of Coffee: Gedman, big Salem seventh key system’s only win
- Christian Vazquez’s new focus at the plate starting to pay off
- Cup of Coffee: Augliera dominant in Salem victory
- Players of the Week, May 6-12: Rubby De La Rosa and Mookie Betts