How the new CBA is hitting Red Sox players in the back pocket
|03.15.12 at 7:36 am ET|
Dustin Pedroia cruised through the clubhouse the other day, took one look at the footwear of a reporter — which consisted of spring training flip-flops — and started screaming that the new collective bargaining agreement was being violated. He was right. Reporters are being forced to dress (gulp) more respectively this season per the new CBA.
Then Pedroia went on the defensive: “Look. Not in my pocket. In my hand.”
What the second baseman was holding was a tin of chewing tobacco. What he was referencing was another new CBA rule that fans might not notice right away, that players aren’t allowed to carry tobacco products in their uniforms. You know what means: No more of the trademark tobacco tin ring in back pockets of players.
Another CBA-related item comes from Hardball Talk’s Craig Calcaterra, who outlines baseball’s new social policy. In a nutshell, here are the new rules:
Players can’t make what can be construed as official club or league statements without permission;
Players can’t use copyrighted team logos and stuff without permission or tweet confidential or private information about teams or players, their families, etc.;
Players can’t link to any MLB website or platform from social media without permission;
No tweets condoning or appearing to condone the use of substances on the MLB banned drug list (which is everything but booze, right?);
No ripping umpires or questioning their integrity;
No racial, sexist, homophobic, anti-religious, etc. etc. content;
No harassment or threats of violence;
Nothing sexually explicit;
Nothing otherwise illegal.
Are the Red Sox pushing the envelope? Probably not. The last tweet from Cody Ross (@IamCodyRoss) was a caption contest, with the winner passing along this for the following picture: “So this is what Pedroia sees when he steps up to the plate…”
Other recent Red Sox tweets: Darnell McDonald (@MacDime54) – “Don’t really get into college hoops”; Ryan Sweeney (@RyanSweeney12) – “Our bed is like a concrete slab so I caved and bought a memory foam mattress cover AND a down mattress cover, this crap better work…”; Kelly Shoppach (@ShopHouse10) – “Ft. Myers Beach is packed. Spring Break”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!