How the new CBA is hitting Red Sox players in the back pocket
|03.15.12 at 7:36 am ET|
Dustin Pedroia cruised through the clubhouse the other day, took one look at the footwear of a reporter — which consisted of spring training flip-flops — and started screaming that the new collective bargaining agreement was being violated. He was right. Reporters are being forced to dress (gulp) more respectively this season per the new CBA.
Then Pedroia went on the defensive: “Look. Not in my pocket. In my hand.”
What the second baseman was holding was a tin of chewing tobacco. What he was referencing was another new CBA rule that fans might not notice right away, that players aren’t allowed to carry tobacco products in their uniforms. You know what means: No more of the trademark tobacco tin ring in back pockets of players.
Another CBA-related item comes from Hardball Talk’s Craig Calcaterra, who outlines baseball’s new social policy. In a nutshell, here are the new rules:
Players can’t make what can be construed as official club or league statements without permission;
Players can’t use copyrighted team logos and stuff without permission or tweet confidential or private information about teams or players, their families, etc.;
Players can’t link to any MLB website or platform from social media without permission;
No tweets condoning or appearing to condone the use of substances on the MLB banned drug list (which is everything but booze, right?);
No ripping umpires or questioning their integrity;
No racial, sexist, homophobic, anti-religious, etc. etc. content;
No harassment or threats of violence;
Nothing sexually explicit;
Nothing otherwise illegal.
Are the Red Sox pushing the envelope? Probably not. The last tweet from Cody Ross (@IamCodyRoss) was a caption contest, with the winner passing along this for the following picture: “So this is what Pedroia sees when he steps up to the plate…”
Other recent Red Sox tweets: Darnell McDonald (@MacDime54) – “Don’t really get into college hoops”; Ryan Sweeney (@RyanSweeney12) – “Our bed is like a concrete slab so I caved and bought a memory foam mattress cover AND a down mattress cover, this crap better work…”; Kelly Shoppach (@ShopHouse10) – “Ft. Myers Beach is packed. Spring Break”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.