Red Sox injury updates: Jose Igelsias is back, Ryan Sweeney close
|03.19.12 at 11:17 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Here are some injury updates as the Red Sox get ready to take on the Twins at JetBlue Park Monday, with Felix Doubront getting the start for the Sox:
- Jose Iglesias (groin) is back in the lineup, hitting ninth. The rest of the Red Sox’ batting order is as follows: Jacoby Ellsbury CF, Dustin Pedroia 2B, Adrian Gonzalez 1B, Kevin Youkilis 3B, David Ortiz DH, Jarrod Saltalamacchia C, Jason Repko RF, Darnell McDonald LF, Iglesias SS.
- Ryan Sweeney (quad) will test his legs by executing some baserunning drills Monday, eyeing a return to the lineup in the coming days.
- Ryan Kalish (shoulder) will take swings off a tee Monday.
- Carl Crawford (wrist) took 20 swings off a tee Monday, while continuing his throwing program.
- Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine suggested Rich Hill (elbow) will throw in some sort of game before the Red Sox break camp.
- Aaron Cook (groin) should be ready to throw at least three innings in his Thursday night start against the Yankees.
- Daisuke Matsuzaka (elbow) was slated to throw live batting practice Monday.
- Franklin Morales should be able to appear in a game soon. Valentine proclaimed the reliever “very healthy, and really ready to go.”
Which leads us to our dose of the Zen of Bobby V for the day. When asked if it was hard to imagine Morales being ready for Opening Day, Valentine responded: “Hard to imagine? [Albert] Einstein said it’s better to have imagination than knowledge, so I can’t give you an answer built on knowledge, but I can imagine him having [a chance]. … It’s not a knowledgable statement.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Two decades later, Billy McMillon back in Portland
- The Write-Up: Garin Cecchini and Christian Vazquez
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket holds on to win, Salem drops doubleheader
- Cup of Coffee: Rain halts three affiliates, Greenville falls again
- Players of the Week, 4/7-13: Kevin Mager & Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Coyle, Betts lift up Owens in Sea Dogs win
- Weekly Notes: Betts, Owens continue torrid starts
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo hits first professional home run in Greenville win
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #56: Reports from The Bucket
- Cup of Coffee: Stankiewicz strong in Greenville win