The Red Sox have their starting shortstop, and his name is Mike Aviles
|03.27.12 at 1:33 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘Red Sox shortstop Mike Aviles spoke briefly with the media following batting practice Tuesday afternoon at JetBlue Park. Aviles seemingly emerged as the starter after the Sox demoted Jose Iglesias to Triple-A earlier in the day.
(Thoughts on earning the job) I feel good. Iggy’s a great ballplayer and he’s going to be a great ballplayer but it just so happens they sent him down to work on some things. I wish him the best, I know he’s going to be back at some point, you know how that is. I came into camp, worked hard and I’m just happy the way things are.
(On accomplishing the goal of becoming starter) I’m happy because I knew deep down I could play short, it’s just a matter of getting the opportunity, I’m just fortunate to get an opportunity and I’m going to try to help the team win. Bottom line, this team’s not about Mike Aviles, this team’s about the Boston Red Sox winning a championship and I’m just a piece of the puzzle. That’s what I’m trying to do, be my piece, do my part and help the team win in any possible way.
(Proud of the accomplishment?) In all honesty, my pride is putting on my uniform every day. It’s great I’m going to be out there Opening Day and be the starting shortstop but my pride honestly is coming to the ballpark and putting on this uniform because you think about how many people have put this uniform on and just to be thrown into that mix, that’s what I consider my pride.
(What has been said to him) Nobody said ‘you’re my guy’ but I talked to Bobby, I knew about the decision but nobody said, ‘you’re the guy.’
(Pressure?) No different than any other day, I’ve got to come to the park and perform regardless whether I’m starting or sitting on the bench coming in in the fifth inning. either way I have to be ready to play every day. That’s why either way it doesn’t bother me. I prepare to play everyday but like I said before, if the situation was ‘¦
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi blasts first professional home run
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts, Stankiewicz shines for Salem
- Red Sox purchase contract of pitcher Noe Ramirez
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza and Owens pitch well, Basabe leads Lowell