The Red Sox have their starting shortstop, and his name is Mike Aviles
|03.27.12 at 1:33 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘Red Sox shortstop Mike Aviles spoke briefly with the media following batting practice Tuesday afternoon at JetBlue Park. Aviles seemingly emerged as the starter after the Sox demoted Jose Iglesias to Triple-A earlier in the day.
(Thoughts on earning the job) I feel good. Iggy’s a great ballplayer and he’s going to be a great ballplayer but it just so happens they sent him down to work on some things. I wish him the best, I know he’s going to be back at some point, you know how that is. I came into camp, worked hard and I’m just happy the way things are.
(On accomplishing the goal of becoming starter) I’m happy because I knew deep down I could play short, it’s just a matter of getting the opportunity, I’m just fortunate to get an opportunity and I’m going to try to help the team win. Bottom line, this team’s not about Mike Aviles, this team’s about the Boston Red Sox winning a championship and I’m just a piece of the puzzle. That’s what I’m trying to do, be my piece, do my part and help the team win in any possible way.
(Proud of the accomplishment?) In all honesty, my pride is putting on my uniform every day. It’s great I’m going to be out there Opening Day and be the starting shortstop but my pride honestly is coming to the ballpark and putting on this uniform because you think about how many people have put this uniform on and just to be thrown into that mix, that’s what I consider my pride.
(What has been said to him) Nobody said ‘you’re my guy’ but I talked to Bobby, I knew about the decision but nobody said, ‘you’re the guy.’
(Pressure?) No different than any other day, I’ve got to come to the park and perform regardless whether I’m starting or sitting on the bench coming in in the fifth inning. either way I have to be ready to play every day. That’s why either way it doesn’t bother me. I prepare to play everyday but like I said before, if the situation was ‘¦
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick