Red Sox announce Opening Day roster
|04.04.12 at 5:06 pm ET|
DETROIT — The Red Sox announced their season-opening major league roster, a group that will feature two particularly unusual elements. First, the team will have 13 pitchers, with an eight-man bullpen as the Sox try to sift through roles in the absence of Andrew Bailey, who underwent successful surgery to reconstruct the ulnar collateral ligament of his right thumb on Wednesday. Meanwhile, the team will have nine players on the disabled list.
The procedural details:
— Rich Hill and Daisuke Matsuzaka, both of whom are recovering from Tommy John surgery, were placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 26. They were joined by left-hander Andrew Miller (left hamstring strain) and outfielder Carl Crawford (recovery from left wrist surgery).
— The team selected the contracts of Vicente Padilla, Scott Atchison and Justin Thomas, all of whom signed minor league deals this winter. Padilla will receive a big league salary of $1.5 million, while Thomas makes $516,000 and Atchison makes $510,000.
— In order to clear spots on the 40-man roster for those three pitchers, the Sox placed Bailey, Chris Carpenter (right elbow surgery) and outfielder Ryan Kalish (shoulder surgery) on the 60-day disabled list. They join Bobby Jenks and John Lackey on the 60-day DL.
— With the decision to have a 13-man pitching staff, the Sox assigned infielders Pedro Ciriaco and Nate Spears and outfielder Jason Repko to Triple-A Pawtucket, while sending catcher Daniel Butler to Double-A Portland.
— Here is the complete roster:
PITCHERS (13): Alfredo Aceves, Matt Albers, Scott Atchison, Daniel Bard, Josh Beckett, Michael Bowden, Clay Buchholz, Felix Doubront, Jon Lester, Mark Melancon, Franklin Morales, Vicente Padilla, Justin Thomas
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela