Red Sox announce Opening Day roster
|04.04.12 at 5:06 pm ET|
DETROIT — The Red Sox announced their season-opening major league roster, a group that will feature two particularly unusual elements. First, the team will have 13 pitchers, with an eight-man bullpen as the Sox try to sift through roles in the absence of Andrew Bailey, who underwent successful surgery to reconstruct the ulnar collateral ligament of his right thumb on Wednesday. Meanwhile, the team will have nine players on the disabled list.
The procedural details:
– Rich Hill and Daisuke Matsuzaka, both of whom are recovering from Tommy John surgery, were placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 26. They were joined by left-hander Andrew Miller (left hamstring strain) and outfielder Carl Crawford (recovery from left wrist surgery).
– The team selected the contracts of Vicente Padilla, Scott Atchison and Justin Thomas, all of whom signed minor league deals this winter. Padilla will receive a big league salary of $1.5 million, while Thomas makes $516,000 and Atchison makes $510,000.
– In order to clear spots on the 40-man roster for those three pitchers, the Sox placed Bailey, Chris Carpenter (right elbow surgery) and outfielder Ryan Kalish (shoulder surgery) on the 60-day disabled list. They join Bobby Jenks and John Lackey on the 60-day DL.
– With the decision to have a 13-man pitching staff, the Sox assigned infielders Pedro Ciriaco and Nate Spears and outfielder Jason Repko to Triple-A Pawtucket, while sending catcher Daniel Butler to Double-A Portland.
– Here is the complete roster:
PITCHERS (13): Alfredo Aceves, Matt Albers, Scott Atchison, Daniel Bard, Josh Beckett, Michael Bowden, Clay Buchholz, Felix Doubront, Jon Lester, Mark Melancon, Franklin Morales, Vicente Padilla, Justin Thomas
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Ian Cundall
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Matt Huegel
- Sox have seventh pick in draft
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Chris Hatfield
- SoxProspects.com 2014 season-end award winners
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #64: Playing Out the Stretch
- Weekly Notes: Prospects flock to Boston
- 2014 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game