Bobby Valentine said leaving Justin Thomas in ‘just a dumb move’
|04.10.12 at 11:38 pm ET|
With nobody out in the sixth inning, and the Blue Jays holding a 3-1 lead, Valentine chose to take out starter Daniel Bard with runners on first and third, bringing in lefty Justin Thomas. The idea was for Thomas to face left-handed hitting Eric Thames, then potentially walk righty J.P. Arencibia if Thames was retired, getting to lefty hitting Colby Rasmus. But a problem developed.
Thomas walked Thames — a career .209 hitter against southpaws. That’s when a problem arose for Valentine.
The Sox skipper decided to leave Thomas in to face Arencibia with the hope of a changeup getting the catcher to ground into a double play. The alternative would have been to bring in Matt Albers, whose sinker would have seemingly been the go-to pitch in such a situation. The result was Arencibia hitting 3-1 fastball into center field for a two-run single.
“Just a dumb move,” Valentine said of the decision.
Later he added, “I don’t like being dumb. I like doing what I’m supposed to do.”
He elaborated …
“I should have brought in Albers with the bases loaded, it might have been still a 3-1 game,” Valentine said. “We get a great ground ball there and maybe we would have won that game.
“I didn’t know [Thomas] well enough. I thought he would get a changup and maybe the changeup would be just as good as the sinker. He got a changeup, hit it off the end of the bat and blooped it into center field.”
“You go with the sinker, try and get the ground ball, or go with the changeup, and he hit the changeup off the end of the bat. I just felt right there I should have gone the other way. I was hoping. I don’t like to hope. I was actually thinking he was going to get the left-hander out, I was going to be able to walk Arencibia, have him go after the left-hander, but the walk kind of through the thing into another action plan. So the changeup looked like it was working to the left-hander. If he got it down it would have been a ground ball, but he got it up.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins