One word was all Alfredo Aceves needed to tell his story
|04.10.12 at 12:08 am ET|
There he presented Bobby Valentine with a note, with just one word on it.
Coming off two appearances in which didn’t record a single out, the Red Sox‘ closer wanted to make sure Valentine didn’t shy away from him when the next opportunity arose. That wasn’t a problem.
Aceves came on to pitch a flawless ninth inning in closing out the Red Sox’ 4-2 win over the Blue Jays, getting two ground outs sandwiched around a strikeout.
‘I just say, ‘Trust!’ We’re going to still trust,’ Aceves said. ‘The last three games against Detroit everything was negative. ‘¦ But we stick together and one of the things is trust. Whatever you do, just trust.
‘I need to keep that in mind that I need to trust my stuff, and every single one of us it’s the same thing. For you, you have to trust. Try and stay positive.’
Following Scott Atchison‘s three-inning, scoreless relief appearance ‘ and the Sox’ ninth-inning comeback in which they scored three runs ‘ there was, in Valentine’s mind, no other option that to go back to Aceves.
‘He came in, he threw pretty much the same pitches. They were all quality,’ the manager said. ‘Up in the zone, away in the zone. His breaking ball was really good. His fastball was crisp. Before the game, he wrote me a little note and talked about trust. I told him I trusted him. He knew he was going to have the ball.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville