So why did David Ortiz try and steal that base?
|04.10.12 at 2:32 am ET|
With one out in the seventh inning, Ryan Sweeney at the plate, and the Red Sox trailing by a run, Ortiz decided it was time to attempt a steal of second.
And while the play was close, the risk resulted in Toronto catcher J.P. Arencibia throwing out the designated hitter thanks to a quick tag by shortstop Yunel Escobar.
So, why did Ortiz execute his first stolen base attempt since July 25 of last season, when he got gunned down in Kansas City?
‘I’ve got the first baseman playing behind me,’ Ortiz said. ‘I’m feeling a little faster this year. There you go.’
But as surprising as the race to second was for a player has a career 11 steals in 19 attempts, the timing was even more perplexing.
Still, according to Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine, there was a method to the madness.
‘[First base coach Alex Ochoa] and David have been talking about it,’ Valentine explained. ‘If they’re going to play behind him, if he can get a good jump and they can pick a good pitch. ‘¦ I don’t know if a one-run game in the seventh inning is a little dicey, I’d say. You know, it’s going to get guys to hold him on base and create a hole for the guys who are hitting behind him. I think it’s a necessary strategy.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins