So why did David Ortiz try and steal that base?
|04.10.12 at 2:32 am ET|
With one out in the seventh inning, Ryan Sweeney at the plate, and the Red Sox trailing by a run, Ortiz decided it was time to attempt a steal of second.
And while the play was close, the risk resulted in Toronto catcher J.P. Arencibia throwing out the designated hitter thanks to a quick tag by shortstop Yunel Escobar.
So, why did Ortiz execute his first stolen base attempt since July 25 of last season, when he got gunned down in Kansas City?
‘I’ve got the first baseman playing behind me,’ Ortiz said. ‘I’m feeling a little faster this year. There you go.’
But as surprising as the race to second was for a player has a career 11 steals in 19 attempts, the timing was even more perplexing.
Still, according to Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine, there was a method to the madness.
‘[First base coach Alex Ochoa] and David have been talking about it,’ Valentine explained. ‘If they’re going to play behind him, if he can get a good jump and they can pick a good pitch. ‘¦ I don’t know if a one-run game in the seventh inning is a little dicey, I’d say. You know, it’s going to get guys to hold him on base and create a hole for the guys who are hitting behind him. I think it’s a necessary strategy.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort