How does this horrific Red Sox start compare to last year’s horrific Red Sox start?
|04.11.12 at 5:29 pm ET|
“It’s just as frustrating,” the Sox’ first baseman said after his team’s latest loss, a 3-1 defeat at the hands of the Blue Jays. “We’ll get out of it. But it is frustrating now. It’s a whole different season. It’s a different team. It does feel different.”
Let’s look at the numbers:
After six games in 2011, the Red Sox pitching staff had totaled a 7.13 ERA, having surrendered 14 home runs. This year? Their ERA is 6.40, having given up eight homers.
The starters’ production has been similar, with this year’s group totaling 33 2/3 innings with a 6.77 ERA, compared to last season’s 32 1/3 frames, which included a 6.68 ERA.
Offensively, there is somewhat of an improvement, with the Sox hitters having totaled 22 runs thus far this season, compared to the 16 they had put up last season. This group has also hit .239, compared to the .181 clip it had after six games in ‘11.
One notable absence from this year’s club, however, has been the long ball. The Red Sox only have two home runs, the second-fewest in the majors.
Now, the Red Sox will be looking to execute what they did last season after six games, when they won two of three against the Yankees.
After that stretch, the Sox dipped again, losing three in a row before rattling off eight wins in their next nine games.
“I think everybody is anxious to go home,” said Red Sox DH David Ortiz. “We haven’t been home in a while. I guess it’s like a reset for everybody. Hopefully we start playing better when we go home.”
So, 2011 end results aside, which start do you feel worse about?
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg