Dustin Pedroia: ‘I’ll talk to Bobby and we’ll figure it out’
|04.16.12 at 11:38 am ET|
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia came to teammate Kevin Youkilis‘ defense prior to Monday’s early game against the Rays, following manager Bobby Valentine‘s critical comments about the third baseman Sunday.
“I know that Youk plays as hard as anybody I’ve ever seen in my life,”Pedroia said. “I have his back, and his teammates have his back. We know how hard he plays. I don’t really understand what Bobby’s trying to do. But that’s really not the way we go about our stuff here. I’m sure he’ll figure that out soon.”
[Click here to hear Dustin Pedroia's full comments.]
Added Pedroia: “We’ve got Youk’s back. He’s played his [butt] off for us for a long time. Anytime he steps on the field, he’s a great player. We’re here to win, and we’re here to win with him.”
Asked if he thought Valentine’s comments could have been meant as a motivational tool, Pedroia didn’t sound impressed.
“Maybe in Japan or something,” he said, referring to Valentine’s stint as a manager there. “Over here in the U.S., we’re on a three-game winning streak, we want to feel good and keep it rolling. We feel we have a good team and we’ve just got to get each other’s backs and play together. Because if you don’t do that, I don’t care what sport you’re playing, you’re not going to win.”
Pedroia said he had not yet talked to Valentine about the issue.
“I’ll talk to Bobby and talk to everybody,” he said. “We’ll figure it out.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th