Saturday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Freddy Garcia
|04.21.12 at 8:59 am ET|
With the pageantry of Fenway Park’s 100th birthday dampened by a 6-2 loss that pushed the Red Sox’s record at Fenway this year to 3-4, the Red Sox will attempt to even their home record on Saturday afternoon when they again host the Yankees.
Boston will send out young left-hander Felix Doubront, who has yet to earn a decision in an outing this season, although the team is 2-0 when he starts. Doubront enters the game on the heels of an outing against the Rays in which he struck out a career-high seven batters. The Red Sox won that game, 6-4, but Doubront was pulled after allowing a leadoff home run in the sixth inning to Luke Scott to allow the Rays to tie the game, 4-4. Doubront allowed four runs on nine hits in his five innings of work.
Although Doubront has pitched in four games against the Yankees, he has never started against them. In 4 2/3 innings of work against New York, Doubront has a 3.86 ERA, allowing three hits and two earned runs and recording one save. Only three members of the Yankees lineup — Curtis Granderson, Nick Swisher and Eric Chavez — have hits against Doubront. Granderson’s hit was a good one, as he knocked out a two-run home run against Doubront and the Red Sox in a 9-4 Yankees win last April.
The Yankees will counter the 24-year-old Doubront with 35-year-old veteran Freddy Garcia, who is 0-1 through two starts this season. In Garcia’s last start, a 7-3 Yankees loss to the Twins on April 16, Garcia allowed five runs on nine hits through 5 2/3 innings. Garcia did not allow a walk in that game, and although he has the highest ERA of any Yankees starter at 6.97, his control has been masterful all season, as his three walks this year are the second-lowest by a New York starter.
Garcia has pitched well against the Red Sox in the past, as he earned a 9-4 record with a 4.45 ERA in 20 career starts against Boston. That historical success was not a factor for Garcia last season, however, as the right-hander went 1-2 in his four starts against Boston, allowing five runs on 22 hits in 19 innings of work.
Mike Aviles especially enjoys batting against Garcia, as he is 8-for-14 with a home run and an RBI against the veteran, his best mark against any New York starter. Aviles’ two hits in Friday’s loss extended his hit streak to three games, and he has a hit in seven of his last eight games.
Yankees vs. Doubront (LHP)
Russell Martin (4 plate appearances): .000 BA/.250 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Robinson Cano (2): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG, 2 strikeouts
Curtis Granderson (2): .500 BA/.500 OBP/2.000 SLG, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Nick Swisher (2): .500 BA/.500 OBP/.500 SLG, 1 strikeout
Eric Chavez (1): 1.000 BA/1.000 OBP/1.000 SLG, 1 single
Derek Jeter (1): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG
Red Sox vs. Garcia (RHP)
David Ortiz (44 plate appearances): .286 BA/.318 OBP/.595 SLG, 4 doubles, 3 home runs, 7 RBIs, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts
Nick Punto (26): .200 BA/.200 OBP/.200 SLG, 5 strikeouts
Kevin Youkilis (19): .188 BA/.263 OBP/.375 SLG, 1 home run, 7 RBI, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (16): .286 BA/.375 OBP/.357 SLG, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 2 walks
Mike Aviles (14): .571 BA/.571 OBP/.786 SLG, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Adrian Gonzalez (14): .167 BA/.286 OBP/.333 SLG, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (8): .200 BA/.500 OBP/.200 SLG, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Ryan Sweeney (6): .400 BA/.500 OBP/.600 SLG, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Cody Ross (5): .333 BA/.600 OBP/1.333 SLG, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Kelly Shoppach (3): .333 BA/.333 OBP/.333 SLG, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller