Bobby Valentine has been reminded Dustin Pedroia is really good
|04.29.12 at 2:08 pm ET|
CHICAGO ‘ For Bobby Valentine, the last few days have been part revelation, part reminder.
‘You know what, during this little road trip here, Dustin has played great defense. Just ‘¦ I guess you guys are used to it. I haven’t seen it,’ Valentine said prior to his team’s series finale against the White Sox. ‘He comes up with a big play, or two or three, that are spectacular. Unbelievable. He’s special.’
In the past two games, Pedroia has made the top two defensive plays of the road swing, one on a grounder up the middle Friday, and the other via a pop-up down the line he had to leave his feet for.
‘You know, I talked about him last year, as everyone did, for an MVP. Seeing it is believing it,’ Valentine said.
And while Valentine wouldn’t yet classify Pedroia as the best defensive second basemen he has managed to date (citing Roberto Alomar as a pretty good one), he did recognize that Pedroia’s voice in the clubhouse might be unique from anything he has been a part of.
‘It’s amazing. It’s amazing,’ Valentine said. ‘Consistently amazing. It’s unbelievable. He’s in there with the guys, so I only get echoes. If I’m in the dugout with him early or out early, it’s fun. It’s always baseball. How could it not be fun?’
‘It’s what he wants to be doing. It’s great. Passion and commitment, right? He’s got it.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville