|Bobby Valentine has been reminded Dustin Pedroia is really good||04.29.12 at 2:08 pm ET|
CHICAGO – For Bobby Valentine, the last few days have been part revelation, part reminder.
That’s what watching Dustin Pedroia during the Red Sox’ current six-game win streak has done for the manager.
“You know what, during this little road trip here, Dustin has played great defense. Just … I guess you guys are used to it. I haven’t seen it,” Valentine said prior to his team’s series finale against the White Sox. “He comes up with a big play, or two or three, that are spectacular. Unbelievable. He’s special.”
In the past two games, Pedroia has made the top two defensive plays of the road swing, one on a grounder up the middle Friday, and the other via a pop-up down the line he had to leave his feet for.
“You know, I talked about him last year, as everyone did, for an MVP. Seeing it is believing it,” Valentine said.
And while Valentine wouldn’t yet classify Pedroia as the best defensive second basemen he has managed to date (citing Roberto Alomar as a pretty good one), he did recognize that Pedroia’s voice in the clubhouse might be unique from anything he has been a part of.
“It’s amazing. It’s amazing,” Valentine said. “Consistently amazing. It’s unbelievable. He’s in there with the guys, so I only get echoes. If I’m in the dugout with him early or out early, it’s fun. It’s always baseball. How could it not be fun?”
“It’s what he wants to be doing. It’s great. Passion and commitment, right? He’s got it.”
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wright's bounce-back start lifts Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart, Cecchini once again lead Salem
- Jalen Williams, Danny Bethea reportedly agree to terms
- Huntzinger, McCarthy earn promotions
- Bogaerts captivates audience in Triple-A debut
- Weekly Notes: Xandemonium peaks, draftees begin to sign
- Cup of Coffee: Bogaerts impresses as PawSox walk-off twice