Bobby Valentine has been reminded Dustin Pedroia is really good
|04.29.12 at 2:08 pm ET|
CHICAGO ‘ For Bobby Valentine, the last few days have been part revelation, part reminder.
‘You know what, during this little road trip here, Dustin has played great defense. Just ‘¦ I guess you guys are used to it. I haven’t seen it,’ Valentine said prior to his team’s series finale against the White Sox. ‘He comes up with a big play, or two or three, that are spectacular. Unbelievable. He’s special.’
In the past two games, Pedroia has made the top two defensive plays of the road swing, one on a grounder up the middle Friday, and the other via a pop-up down the line he had to leave his feet for.
‘You know, I talked about him last year, as everyone did, for an MVP. Seeing it is believing it,’ Valentine said.
And while Valentine wouldn’t yet classify Pedroia as the best defensive second basemen he has managed to date (citing Roberto Alomar as a pretty good one), he did recognize that Pedroia’s voice in the clubhouse might be unique from anything he has been a part of.
‘It’s amazing. It’s amazing,’ Valentine said. ‘Consistently amazing. It’s unbelievable. He’s in there with the guys, so I only get echoes. If I’m in the dugout with him early or out early, it’s fun. It’s always baseball. How could it not be fun?’
‘It’s what he wants to be doing. It’s great. Passion and commitment, right? He’s got it.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort
- Teddy Stankiewicz debuted streamlined delivery in first spring outing