Bobby Valentine has been reminded Dustin Pedroia is really good
|04.29.12 at 2:08 pm ET|
CHICAGO ‘ For Bobby Valentine, the last few days have been part revelation, part reminder.
‘You know what, during this little road trip here, Dustin has played great defense. Just ‘¦ I guess you guys are used to it. I haven’t seen it,’ Valentine said prior to his team’s series finale against the White Sox. ‘He comes up with a big play, or two or three, that are spectacular. Unbelievable. He’s special.’
In the past two games, Pedroia has made the top two defensive plays of the road swing, one on a grounder up the middle Friday, and the other via a pop-up down the line he had to leave his feet for.
‘You know, I talked about him last year, as everyone did, for an MVP. Seeing it is believing it,’ Valentine said.
And while Valentine wouldn’t yet classify Pedroia as the best defensive second basemen he has managed to date (citing Roberto Alomar as a pretty good one), he did recognize that Pedroia’s voice in the clubhouse might be unique from anything he has been a part of.
‘It’s amazing. It’s amazing,’ Valentine said. ‘Consistently amazing. It’s unbelievable. He’s in there with the guys, so I only get echoes. If I’m in the dugout with him early or out early, it’s fun. It’s always baseball. How could it not be fun?’
‘It’s what he wants to be doing. It’s great. Passion and commitment, right? He’s got it.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title