Josh Beckett’s performance punctuated solid trip for the Red Sox starting staff
|04.29.12 at 6:53 pm ET|
For the sixth time during the seven-game road trip, the Sox starter went at least six innings. In this case, Beckett lasted 6 2/3 frames, giving up three runs in what finished as a 4-1
The entire road swing saw the Sox’ starters total 45 innings, to go along with a 5-1 mark (Daniel Bard earned one of the trip’s win out of the bullpen). It was the third-most innings of any team’s starting rotation during that span.
‘Yeah, this week it seemed like things were coming together nicely,’ said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine. ‘Mainly because of the starting pitching obviously. The bullpen fell in nicely.’
But it was the starters who helped allow the bullpen to figure itself out, which they did in solid fashion. (The relievers finished the trip giving up two runs in 17 innings.)
‘It’s a pretty good road trip as a team,’ Beckett said. ‘Any time you can come to any big league ball club, sweep one and take three or four on another one. Four-game series are tough enough. Pitchers get to see our hitters a lot more than the hitters get to see the pitchers.’
A sign of the times was the amount of pitches turned in by the Red Sox starters ‘ Jon Lester and Beckett ‘ over the past two outings. For the first time since 1998, Sox starters threw 121 or more pitches in back-to-back outings (Pedro Martinez, Tim Wakefield), with Lester tossing 121 and Beckett tying his career-high at 126.
Even before Beckett’s latest start, the Red Sox starters were fifth in the major leagues with 101.3 pitches per game. Last season they were 16th with 97.1 per outing.
‘Josh was ‘¦ geez, he was good with all his pitches,’ Valentine said. ‘Maybe a mistake or two in the (three-run) first inning. Stuff might have been a little flat that inning. The rest of the game, right up until the last pitch he threw, it looked like he had good movement, location, his curveball was good. One of those days we didn’t score for him.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins