Bobby Valentine: ‘I didn’t have a major plan’ for losing Jacoby Ellsbury and Andrew Bailey
|04.30.12 at 7:08 pm ET|
No one would come down hard on the Red Sox skipper for losing his starting center fielder and leadoff man Jacoby Ellsbury when Reid Brignac fell on his right shoulder on April 13, partially dislocating it.
But Valentine came down hard on himself Monday for not being prepared to deal with the Ellsbury and Bailey injuries and the struggles of set-up man Mark Melancon.
“I’m reading reports every day,” Valentine said when asked a simple question about the bullpen roles coming together. “I have the to ‘D’ ABCD plans, the what-ifs. You try to have what-ifs. To tell you the truth, I didn’t have what-ifs at the beginning of the season and I’m kicking myself for it.
“The outfield and the bullpen. I didn’t have a major plan for not having Ellsbury. My fault. I should’ve. And two-deep in the bullpen, the two guys we traded during in the wintertime, I figured one of them would be pitching in the ninth inning come April 13th.”
The bullpen is coming off a seven-game stretch in Minnesota and Chicago where the ERA was 1.06, allowing just two earned runs in 17 innings, striking out 13 in the process.
After the disaster of April 21, the 15-9 debacle against the Yankees, Valentine said he’s finally adjusted to adjusting on the fly.
“Absolutely, that’s what we’re doing, that’s what I’m doing,” Valentine said. “And you have to have plans. I’m kicking myself a little. I didn’t have a great plan. But it’s coming into fruition now. On the fly, the plan seems to be working.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles