Mike Gonzalez will not be returning to Red Sox organization
|05.08.12 at 5:36 pm ET|
According to multiple reports, lefty reliever Mike Gonzalez has agreed to a minor league deal with the Nationals.
According to a major league source, the Red Sox did have some discussions with Gonzalez’ agent, Scott Boras, about the possibility of the pitcher agreeing to terms with the Sox, but the lack of a guaranteed spot on the major league roster (thanks to the presence of Rich Hill, Andrew Miller and Frankin Morales) made Gonzalez view the situation in Washington as a better fit.
The 33-year-old is coming off offseason knee injury, having pitched in a combined 56 games between the Orioles and Rangers in 2011, finishing with an ERA of 4.01. He limited left-handed hitters to a .214 batting average last season. Gonzalez has a career 56 saves, having served as the closer for the Braves for parts of the 2006, ’08 and ’09 seasons.
In case you forgot, the Red Sox once acquired Gonzalez in 2003 in a deal that sent him and Scott Sauerbeck to Boston for Brandon Lyon and Anastacio Martinez. But after the Pirates raised concerns over Lyon’s elbow, the deal was tweaked, with Gonzalez going back to Pittsburgh with Freddy Sanchez for Lyon, Martinez and Jeff Suppan.
He pitched in two games for Triple-A Pawtucket in ’03, earning a save.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery