Nuggetpalooza: A few Red Sox statistical nuggets from their win over the Royals
|05.08.12 at 8:32 am ET|
A couple of quick Red Sox nuggets from last night’s win over the Royals:
* – Will Middlebrooks became the first Red Sox player to have a multiple HR game within the first four games of his career since Dave Stapleton hit two in a 19-8 loss to Milwaukee back in 1980 (in his second career game). Here are the Red Sox that have done it:
Will Middlebrooks – May 7, 2012
Billy Conigliaro – April 16, 1969
Mike Ryan – May 2, 1965
Note this: It was just the 31st time in MLB history that it’s happened.
* – Middlebrooks is just the third player in major league history to drive in four or more runs TWICE within the first four games of his career:
Will Middlebrooks, Red Sox – May 6-7, 2012
Dave Kingman, Giants – July 31-August 1, 1971
Joe Cunningham, Cardinals – June 30-July 1, 1954
* – The Red Sox pounded out eight extra-base hits last night, the third time this season they’ve had eight or more, which is the most in the majors so far. They didn’t have their first such game last year until May 20. The Cardinals, Rockies, and Braves each have two games with 8+ extra-base hits.
Note this: The Red Sox now lead the AL in scoring (average runs per game):
5.54 – Red Sox
5.52 – Rangers
5.04 – Yankees
4.76 – Blue Jays
* – After averaging over five runs per game on road trip openers in 2008, 2009, and 2010, the Red Sox managed only 3.3 last season in losing 9-of-12. This year (including opening day in Detroit), the Red Sox are 2-1 and are averaging 6.3 runs in road trip openers.
* – The Red Sox bullpen, which sported a collective ERA over 8.00 just two weeks ago, is now just third worst in the AL:
4.75 – Angels
4.45 – Rays
4.41 – Red Sox
Note this: The Red Sox (100.0) and the Royals (110.1) are the only two AL teams which have required 100+ relief innings already this season. The Angels’ bullpen has thrown just 60.2 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies